How far is your commute to work?

Soldato
How far do you currently travel to work and is it a problem?

Potentially looking at a new career opportunity which would mean commuting 90 miles each way to a base 4 times a week.

Hour and a half each way doesn't sound much but I don't know if it would grate over a week?

Soldato
Mine is about 15 miles but for the past couple of weeks it has taken about 50 minutes to do this. This is wholly due to the M27, an average of 18mph!

I used to get the train, with a little drive at one end and a little walk at the other, which was 90 minutes all in. I This was OK mainly as it was literally 5 minutes at either end, and I could read on the train. I wouldn't like to drive for 90 minutes each way.

Caporegime
About three miles of relatively quiet roads. Except for Monday morning when I start at 9am. Then it takes about ten minutes. It's got to the point where if I look for a new job I think more about the commute than anything else.

Man of Honour
About 11 seconds... if I dawdle.

Goes to about 7 minutes if I go via the kitchen for coffee.

The other half, averages 2 hours a day. But trains, so has been as much as 6 hours.

Associate
Commute is about 45 miles which can take from anywhere from one to two hours each way, usually (one hour during school holidays) as half of it is in London.

It's only three days a week (work from home the other two days) so bearable and less than half the cost of getting the train (which is 3 miles away).

Soldato
Get a decent saloon & automatic at that and even sizable journeys are ok @The_One unless you're going by train then unless you are you on a line which will guarantee you a seat......

Consider air BnB maybe one or two of the nights if it grates.

Perfectly doable, cost of commuting does add up and if you are in a job which requires lots of hours on site then days can be long.

Man of Honour
30 miles and around 40-60 minutes if I'm at home and 50 miles and between 60-90 minutes if I'm at my other halfs.

Not too bad, the most annoying part is my bikes fuel tank isn't massive so if I'm at my OHs then I need to stop for petrol every night.

Associate

Potentially looking at a new career opportunity which would mean commuting 90 miles each way to a base 4 times a week.

Hour and a half each way doesn't sound much but I don't know if it would grate over a week?

If you’re driving then not a chance are you going to average 60mph on a 90 mile commute. And 3 hours a day would be ridiculous anyway.

Mine is 3 miles, 25 mins in the car on a very bad day.

Caporegime

I worked in Cumbernauld, driving from the east side of Edinburgh for a month and a half. It was only 50 or so miles but took around an hour and a half in the morning. TBH I didn't mind the driving that much but it was the time taken out of my day, 2 1/2 hours every day doing nothing but driving that swung it for me. Got a job after that which was 20 minutes away.

Back
Top Bottom