How fast have you sold a house ?

Associate
To be fair, If your house is selling instantly then it's probably been undervalued.

Estate agents price for quick sales to benefit them, not the seller.

I see what your saying, but don't agree. I know they area I live in well and know what our house was worth. All the houses in the area I live in are very similar as it's a massive 60's/70's built area. First estate agent said we should ask 170k (under imo), second said 185k (what it sold for and what it was worth imo), third said 200k (way more than it was worth), but if we had been willing to wait ages then somewhere approaching that figure might have been achievable. Demand for un-modified (no dorma) bungalows seems high in York, they seem popular with older people downsizing and first time buyers. 200k gets you a 3 bed semi, ours was a 2 bed bungalow that was nowhere near as good as the houses 200k gets you. As an added bonus we only paid 147k for it 3 years before, so we didn't want to be too greedy. The chance to gazump the lady (first time buyer) who bought ours in the end nearly came up, but there was no way we could have done that to anyone. It seemed greedy and had we been in her situation we would have been devastated.

Dave

Soldato
Not a seller, but my house I bought December 2013 (mortgage/solictors stuff took 5-6 weeks)

The house went up for sale in October 2013, the day it went live for sale I phoned the estate agent selling it, got a viewing booked for the following evening. Went and viewed it, next morning called the agent at 9:05. I offered £5k under asking, got a call back 30mins later saying it was accepted.

House was sold literally in 36hrs.

Associate
My mum and dad have bought a house and still waiting to exchange contracts 13 weeks later due to something on the deeds needing changing. They are really fed up

Soldato
Can just be right place right time. We purchased our house when it had been on the market less than 48hrs, and I was miffed we didn't know about it sooner (given all the estate agents in the area knew what we were after!). We had been looking for over a year and this house was 90% what we were after. Put an offer in the same day for £5k under asking and job done. It may have been slightly over priced for the area but it was pretty much exactly what we wanted / hoped for and I was buying to live there as 1st priority.

Soldato
I guess it depends where you are, houses at the place where I purchased mine recently are often sold before being marketed as estate agents have people on their books waiting to buy if one becomes available.

The longest part then is the searches and solictor stuff but think that's averaging about 6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom