How hot will the chipset get on an MSI x570 motherboard?

rn2

rn2

Associate
Running a 5900x and rtx3080? I noticed that all the new motehrbaords have fans on the chipsets but I wondered how hot the chipset would get without the fans.

Associate
I wouldn't risk running with it off, especially knowing that the fan for the X570 is barely audible. Some people mentioned before that the X570 would be totally fine without a fan, but knowing manufacturers, they would've saved few pennies and went without it if that was safe to do so.
Mine never goes past 60C, 1500rpm. The issue would be your GPU blowing some hot air over the X570/NVME, if that is possible on your GPU design. Happened to me when using a Vega 56, and just a little with my EVGA 2080, but nowhere as bad as the Vega.
If I were to run a X570 without the fan, just guessing, I would remove all that plastic over the actual X570 heatsink. A good airflow should allow decent results, but that is just a guess.

Associate
Just forgot to mention, but if the question is due to noise, some people reported before some manufacturer (can't remember which) shipping boards with the fan connector for the X570 fan, bent, causing the fan to run at 100% all the time.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Thank you for your replies. I will probably run it at a low inaudible rpm and set it to go higher at 72oC. is 1500rpm 50% fan speed?

Soldato
Well designed X570 chipset coolers can run nearly always passively, if you just have ambient temperature under control. (=working case cooling)

So especially Asus has badly retarded HSF designs from arse of brand overhype marketroids.
Gigabyte and MSI did lot better job in using common sense during design.
Though bang per buck X570 Aorus Elite has the most sensible cooler of Gigabytes with higher model design showing more interference from marketroids.
Again while having widely the best chipset HSF, MSI tried riding on brand reputation from B450 boards and except for Tomahawk have crap CPU VRM copypasted from £100 B450 boards in whole lower half of the X570 range.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Well designed X570 chipset coolers can run nearly always passively, if you just have ambient temperature under control. (=working case cooling)

So especially Asus has badly retarded HSF designs from arse of brand overhype marketroids.
Gigabyte and MSI did lot better job in using common sense during design.
Though bang per buck X570 Aorus Elite has the most sensible cooler of Gigabytes with higher model design showing more interference from marketroids.
Again while having widely the best chipset HSF, MSI tried riding on brand reputation from B450 boards and except for Tomahawk have crap CPU VRM copypasted from £100 B450 boards in whole lower half of the X570 range.

I bought the MSI x570 MAG WiFi Tomahawk today.

Soldato
I bought the MSI x570 MAG WiFi Tomahawk today.

I have that board. I have both m.2 slots occupied, one gen4 and one gen3 drive. I don't really do much in the way of transfers large files from drive to drive but general gaming and I havent seen my chipset fan can on yet other than initial boot. My fan is set to come one when the chipset hits 60°c. My gpu is watercooled though so I don't have any hot air blowing onto my board.

Associate
Not an issue at all; mine runs at 50°C with the fan not turned on; think I set it to come on at 65°C. That's with a GPU on fanless mode right now. Even with everything running in full, chipset does not exceed 55°C.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Not an issue at all; mine runs at 50°C with the fan not turned on; think I set it to come on at 65°C. That's with a GPU on fanless mode right now. Even with everything running in full, chipset does not exceed 55°C.
Good to know :)

Soldato
My chipset sits at 50c normally. when I stress testing etc it goes upto 55c and sits there. Fan doesn’t spin up at all. I am struggling to think under which usage scenario that the fan will actually spin up.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
The Asus X570 Crosshair Dark Hero has no chipset fan, it was one of the main reasons why I purchased it.
I was starting to worry that I missed something but i just saw the price of it. If you have good airflow these fans don't seem to turn on at all apart from booting.

Back
Top Bottom