How is London affordable now?

Associate
Don't do it, reject the job, London is a cesspit.

What a strange comment :confused: Speaking as a Londoner and also as someone who has travelled fairly extensively to major cities worldwide, London is far far nicer / safer than the majority of cities of comparable size abroad (and many of the smaller cities in the UK too for that matter).

Soldato
Aha - I kind of get why some people think London is a cesspit. I'm originally from the Midlands, and one of the things that constantly surprises me is when my friends come down here they end up wanting to go to the cesspits :)

Hey, come one, let's go out in Leicester Square! Just no.

I love where I live - the area is stunning. I like living on the water. I tend to walk everywhere - more so in the summer - (central London is smaller than the tube map would have you believe), and I love the lifestyle.

Agree with the comments about Paris/Rome above too. I've been to both 10+ times and yet can't understand people's obsession with them. They do come across as dirty horrid places, but then such opinions are quite subjective, aren't they?

Lived in NYC for a while too - because that was an awesome idea, and something I'd always wanted to do. Wasn't long before I was missing London.

Are there bad bits? Yeah, sure. Same as everywhere really.

Man of Honour
I work at City Airport, so London isn't really London as in London, if you see what o mean

Yeah but you'd still be better off taking the DLR - it's right on the door step.

That part of London snarls up a lot, blackwall tunnel especially. I used to travel to Harlow regularly when I lived in SE London, and then later in Greenwich. if you hit it at 530-6am it's okay, otherwise from 630 onwards, expect it to take at least 20mins to cross the river if not more. Similarly on the way home. Any time after 430pm it's hell on earth.

Associate
Outside the M25 you're looking at closer to an hour door-to-door. Certainly if you're coming from the East/North of the M25 into the city. Longer if you have to cross London once the overground has spat you out.

Unless you're planning on driving in, in which case you've utterly lost the plot.

:)
It takes me sometimes 45 minutes to drive from work to home, and it's only 5 miles.

Soldato
I'm paying just over 50% of my monthly take home (depending on overtime) on a literal box in Greenford. I'm the only one working currently. It's a ground floor converted house and even though we have a cat you certainly couldn't swing it in there. This puts me about a 20 min drive (further out of London) to work. Anywhere within an hour out isn't really any cheaper. It's a depressing state of affairs. We are managing (and we've been way to frivolous lately) but we struggle to save anything meaningful each month.

Last edited:
Soldato
It takes me sometimes 45 minutes to drive from work to home, and it's only 5 miles.
then you need to ditch the car and buy a bicycle :)

I did the 24/mi a day commute from croydon to paddington for nearly 5 years.

Racked up A LOT of miles and have had no issues with it. Much more pleasant than train or traffic jam in the car.

Associate
OP
Yeah but you'd still be better off taking the DLR - it's right on the door step.

DLR works for all but a few of my shifts, our earliest reports are around 5:00, so with the best will in the world the car is my only option during these times. I guess for the early shifts I can drive and avoid traffic, but the later shifts I can take the DLR. It is an option I guess.

Bike has been mentioned a few times in this thread, whilst a great idea (I love cycling), I can't keep my bike anywhere safe and I'm also a uniformed worker, so it's just a huge hassle to take multiple clothes every time I go to work.

It's amazing the jump from 900 to 1200 a month, you go from some grot hole flat to a brand new one in a similar area. But £1200 for a box is still one hell of a lot of money.

Soldato
Am I wrong to want North Korea to drop a nuke on London?

I hate the place, overpriced, dirty horrible city in general. There are a few nice pocket area's however the cost to live there is stupid.

Even visiting the city, I hate it. Too many people who are unfriendly and if you look at somebody you risk being attacked verbally or even physically.
I've never felt remotely unsafe in London. Yes it's busy but so are most cities. I also think that the place is incredible, the diversity, food, things to do, everything!

Caporegime
I've never felt remotely unsafe in London. Yes it's busy but so are most cities. I also think that the place is incredible, the diversity, food, things to do, everything!

15 years and I've only been in 1 altercation, and it was stupid of me to be walking down a dark, remote alley at 2am with my headphones in, could have happened anywhere.

As for prices, my friend just bought a new place, 2bed/2bath 1st floor flat (terrace conversion) in Battersea, about 10 minute walk from Battersea Park station. £590k!!! Unsuprising that him and his wife are looking to rent out the second room to help clear the mortgage quicker.

Soldato
As for prices, my friend just bought a new place, 2bed/2bath 1st floor flat (terrace conversion) in Battersea, about 10 minute walk from Battersea Park station. £590k!!! Unsuprising that him and his wife are looking to rent out the second room to help clear the mortgage quicker.
Nuts. But then again out in Ealing 2-beds are going for the same, so I'm not sure which is more nuts. Where exactly do people get a £100k+ deposit from that's what I want to know -- especially whilst (presumably) renting in London? :confused:

Soldato
What a strange comment :confused: Speaking as a Londoner and also as someone who has travelled fairly extensively to major cities worldwide, London is far far nicer / safer than the majority of cities of comparable size abroad (and many of the smaller cities in the UK too for that matter).

You joking? It's a **** hole. This happened at the bottom of my road, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaJqXtziMDg could see them from my window running around with machetes. It is a cesspit, over priced, overpopulated. Yes there are much worse places in the world, but i'll never understand why people give London so much, praise. I've been here for 28 years now and it is just getting worse and more expensive.

Just out of curiosity where are you in London? Says Kent in your profile, you're not one of those Kent/London border dwellers that likes to call themselves a Londoner are you?

Man of Honour
You joking? It's a **** hole. This happened at the bottom of my road, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaJqXtziMDg could see them from my window running around with machetes. It is a cesspit, over priced, overpopulated. Yes there are much worse places in the world, but i'll never understand why people give London so much, praise. I've been here for 28 years now and it is just getting worse and more expensive.

Just out of curiosity where are you in London? Says Kent in your profile, you're not one of those Kent/London border dwellers that likes to call themselves a Londoner are you?
Anywhere inside the M25 is That London. This is a fact to the rest of the UK, this Kent, Surry, Essex stuff is just made up counties to control property prices. No fooling us up north (which to be clear is outside the M25 above Watford.

Associate

Haha - Guilty as charged (Bromley area). However, as for not being a Londoner, I think you'll find that Bromley is a bit closer to Westerminster than Wealdstone is :p

I'd was going to suggest that you've chosen to live on the wrong side of the river, but hey - we have Croydon. :(

Caporegime
The UK has more civilised culture than anywhere else in the world. Probably why half the world wants to move across here.

Debatable.

Depending on what your definition of "civilized" is (i.e. Safe/non violent or historic buildings, history and cultural ways) I think many other countries would have a certifiable claim to that, not least several other European countries, Australia, Canada and NZ to name a few. :p

Caporegime
Makes you think what you want in life. We as a family are what I would consider slightly above average in wage. We live in the midlands difference is we will be mortgage free by 40. Have a nice Detached 3 bed, own three cars with our only debt our mortgage. Even where I live there are plenty of opportunities work wise if you are prepared to look. My father was born and bred London Edmonton and couldn't wait to get out once he finished in the army!

Man of Honour

Shh, we're supposed to be telling the gullible mugs that it's terrible, if they hear you they'll all want to come.

I just paid £10.50 for a single whiskey and coke, I'm furious.

So no, London is not affordable now.

Have you heard the expression, "He must have seen you coming?"

Take a look at Luton. There's an express train to London for a relatively speedy commute.

Promise you that you're kidding in bigging up Luton.

Am I wrong to want North Korea to drop a nuke on London?

I hate the place, overpriced, dirty horrible city in general. There are a few nice pocket area's however the cost to live there is stupid.

Even visiting the city, I hate it. Too many people who are unfriendly and if you look at somebody you risk being attacked verbally or even physically.

What are you, 11? Are you enjoying the school holidays, you melt.

Too right. Central London has absolutely none of the aggro that you get in other British city centres on a Friday or Saturday night. There are some right dumps, of course, but a visitor shouldn't be anywhere near them.

You know that's true, I know that's true, let the mugs think it's not true, maybe they'll stay off our streets.

To be fair I whinge about London but I feel 100 times safer walking around Soho or Hammersmith at 11pm at night than I would in say Reading or Leeds.

Same answer as to the post above.

Don't do it, reject the job, London is a cesspit.

Exactly, stay away, and leave it to we native Londoners to enjoy.

Caporegime
We just like slumming it :p

London though is far cleaner and nicer than Rome or Paris.

both are a lot more run down and rome is horrific for all the ***** trying to sell stuff to you/beggars.

i think it helps that for most of London the buildings are either brick, or Portland stone. not plastered like they are on the continent, pealing/flaking plaster looks terrible quickly but brick and stone look good unless something major happens.

There's definitely something to the perception of a place based on the state of it.

I used to hate London but living there for a few years changed my mind about it. That said I'd still only say central London and the suburbs, the middle but not so much. In part because the suburbs are generally like much of the rest of the country - normal streets, normal houses and reasonably nice high streets. The centre on the other hand (basically Westminster and CoL) is grand and ornate, full of well kept parks and big buildings with lots happening. The bit inbetween is basically tiny terraces, terrible highstreets and just a bit of a mess.

Same with places like Manchester. I'm sure it's safe, but many parts of even the centre of Manchester look like you're going to get stabbed at midday, nothing to do with the people, just the state of buildings and roads.

On the other hand cities outside of the UK, especially those designed for larger populations (Barcelona and many North American cities) are generally just more airy and seem cleaner, reducing the perception of there being problems, even if there may actually be some.

I think London like most places has some dodgy spots, but outside of those there's likely to be no more of an issue than in a small town. I had no issues walking around central London in the middle of the night, or generally in the suburbs (Hillingdon). Never spent a huge amount of time in the middle bit however.

Paris is a weird one, it should be great, but it's still got that air of ***** about much of it, although it's got a lot bette run the last 15 or so years.

I love where I live - the area is stunning. I like living on the water. I tend to walk everywhere - more so in the summer - (central London is smaller than the tube map would have you believe), and I love the lifestyle.

Yeah, pretty much any station in zone 1 is walkable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nuts. But then again out in Ealing 2-beds are going for the same, so I'm not sure which is more nuts. Where exactly do people get a £100k+ deposit from that's what I want to know -- especially whilst (presumably) renting in London? :confused:

For me at least it was parents helping. Wouldn't have been doable otherwise.

Makes me want to cry when I hear about what people got outside London for the same price I paid for a 1 bed flat though.

Back
Top Bottom