• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How likely is it my card is beyond repair?

Soldato
OP
You could probably get away with even a cheap 15 quid multimeter or perhaps even cheaper. I could also probably quite easily guide you through taking core and memory resistance after that though when you know the core is good/bad what next? Your likely going to be tracking a short and will have to probably replace at least one smd component. To find the short you will need a desktop power supply, then you need the right tools to replace the smd. Some spare GPU's to borrow parts off of etc etc etc...

I would give myself a less than 1% chance of successfully replacing a component, it's the kind of thing i'm just not good at.

I've found this company - http://www.pcfixltd.co.uk/gpu-repairs - but i've no idea how competent they are or whether or not they even attempt these types of repair.

Man of Honour
I would give myself a less than 1% chance of successfully replacing a component, it's the kind of thing i'm just not good at.

I've found this company - http://www.pcfixltd.co.uk/gpu-repairs - but i've no idea how competent they are or whether or not they even attempt these types of repair.

To be honest if it gets to BGA core re-ball, being vega its in the bin. The repair will be more expensive than buying a replacement vega 64 at current prices.

Soldato
OP
To be honest if it gets to BGA core re-ball, being vega its in the bin. The repair will be more expensive than buying a replacement vega 64 at current prices.

I guess i'm screwed then. I'm just gonna sell all my WC gear and call it quits.

Man of Honour
I guess i'm screwed then. I'm just gonna sell all my WC gear and call it quits.

If it isn't the core though it could just be a cap shorting a power rail. That could be a really cheap/free fix. If your calling quits on it I could offer to have a look for you and even if I cant fix it I can tell you if it's a total write off.

Soldato
OP
If it isn't the core though it could just be a cap shorting a power rail. That could be a really cheap/free fix. If your calling quits on it I could offer to have a look for you and even if I cant fix it I can tell you if it's a total write off.

Yeah that'd be great thanks. I dont mind paying you something for your time and i'll of course cover the postage costs for when you send it back to me.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Yeah that'd be great thanks. I dont mind paying you something for your time and i'll of course cover the postage costs for when you send it back to me.

Thanks

You dont need to pay me. I will have a look and send it back for free, I'm still very much learning myself so obviously I wont even attempt to repair it unless I can track down what is wrong with it. I'll trust you my details and phone number. Of course ill stay in contact and leave it entirely up to you. I do however have some spare vega parts so am in a fairly decent position to attempt a repair.

Soldato
OP
You dont need to pay me. I will have a look and send it back for free, I'm still very much learning myself so obviously I wont even attempt to repair it unless I can track down what is wrong with it. I'll trust you my details and phone number. Of course ill stay in contact and leave it entirely up to you. I do however have some spare vega parts so am in a fairly decent position to attempt a repair.

That's great, i cant thank you enough. :)

Man of Honour
That's great, i cant thank you enough. :)

I sent you a trust. Ill keep you updated in my board level repair thread. I did recently fix a hard drive and a midi keyboard and have a 1050ti to try and fix this week. Not all that confidence inspiring I know but some things were fixed!

Another thing... I assume its out of warranty?

Soldato
OP
I sent you a trust. Ill keep you updated in my board level repair thread. I did recently fix a hard drive and a midi keyboard and have a 1050ti to try and fix this week. Not all that confidence inspiring I know but some things were fixed!

Another thing... I assume its out of warranty?

I bought it 2nd hand from the MM and it's a Sapphire card so they dont let you transfer the warranty and removing the cooler also voids it.

If you do identify the problem but dont feel comfortable attempting a fix i'll contact that company i linked earlier and see if they do that sort of thing. Thanks again.

Man of Honour
I bought it 2nd hand from the MM and it's a Sapphire card so they dont let you transfer the warranty and removing the cooler also voids it.

If you do identify the problem but dont feel comfortable attempting a fix i'll contact that company i linked earlier and see if they do that sort of thing. Thanks again.

Sounds like a plan. I'm happy right up until bga re-balling. But then at that point the card is a write off anyway.

Interestingly this card has exactly the same symptoms as your one and was repaired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xR2YjHopSU

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sounds like a plan. I'm happy right up until bga re-balling. But then at that point the card is a write off anyway.

Interestingly this card has exactly the same symptoms as your one and was repaired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xR2YjHopSU

Yeah i watched that video this morning and it gave me some hope, i just didn't know where to go to find someone that can do that kind of repair.

Man of Honour
Yeah i watched that video this morning and it gave me some hope, i just didn't know where to go to find someone that can do that kind of repair.

Well I basically have all the stuff to do the job but i'm not the best at soldering. I have been getting better as have basically taken every part off of and attempted to put them all back onto a few motherboards, which has been good practise to be fair, the problem is just that broken hardware to practise on is expensive still and I end up resenting paying for it, for example £43 for a broken 1050ti that had no description so who knows what that will be like. Then I'm not sure if ill even have the parts i need on donor boards so it all gets pretty expensive when really it's just a bit of a hobby.

Back
Top Bottom