How long can a company 'hold' your refund?

Soldato
I ordered some parts from a website in the UK on 12th July. On the 18th July I received an email that one of the parts was not in stock so ordered it from another website.
The order went through and I ordered the part from another site.

I received the items (including the other part) on 21st July. On the delivery note it says next to the one the items "Refunded"

I have emailed the company multiple times as have not yet received the refund for the part (to my credit card where the order was placed)

Where do I stand in terms of getting this refund? The reply was that it can take a while because the payment company Stripe like holding the money as long as possible.

Soldato
OP
Check out their refund policy?
Its not technically a refund though is it? I ordered something that wasnt in stock so was never sent out. It simply needed to be cancelled off the order because it was not in stock (on the website it said it was in stock, but it wasnt)

Soldato
Tell the company you orderred from you're going to start an action against them, make them chase it up. This is the main reason i always order with a credit card.

Soldato
OP
Tell the company you orderred from you're going to start an action against them, make them chase it up. This is the main reason i always order with a credit card.
Action? What sort of action.
It sounds like its Stripe holding the money rather than them

Last edited:
Soldato
99% of the time it’s the bank holding the money and not the company, however that time frame sounds like someone hasn’t processed a refund so I would try and call them and speak to someone if they have a phone number as emails are easy to miss in a busy (but small) company

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. I've filed a section 75 dispute with Nationwide against the company and provided evidence to [email protected] for the case.
I think this might speed the process up nicely! It's not a huge amount, but it's the principle. Nationwide told me the company were not processing any refund at all

Permabanned
Its not technically a refund though is it? I ordered something that wasnt in stock so was never sent out. It simply needed to be cancelled off the order because it was not in stock (on the website it said it was in stock, but it wasnt)

Well it is a refund because if they have your money and not sending you a product they need to return your money as a refund. Shouldn't take long now anyway since it's with nationwide.

Caporegime
Thanks all. I've filed a section 75 dispute with Nationwide against the company and provided evidence to [email protected] for the case.
I think this might speed the process up nicely! It's not a huge amount, but it's the principle. Nationwide told me the company were not processing any refund at all
If the individual item is £100 or less it's not covered by Section 75.

Back
Top Bottom