How long can you hold your breath.

Soldato
Not sure if this is a viable fitness test, maybe it is. I managed 1 min, could maybe go 10 secs longer. I'm pretty sure this is pretty poor as people online are talking about holding for 8 mins.

A sign of your cardio fitness I think.

Man of Honour
2 minutes 20-ish is my record from a few years ago... tried it again relatively recently and managed over 2 minutes ago.

Biggest factors here are lung/O2 holding capacity and ability to manage the gasp reflex (or whatever it's called): tests with idiots and curare (muscle relaxant) show that - in the average person running at full saturation - blood O2 levels don't get dangerous until around 5 minutes (never managed to square this with my [limited] first aid training)... the test subject who was describing this at the time explained the reason they cut at 5 minutes was because the supervisors got panicky.

So what it - ultimately - comes down to is suppression of the gasp reflex in the first instance... you'll see videos of training divers starting to hiccup underwater as their bodies try to force intake of breath.

Caporegime
I used to 'argue' with friends about holding your breath under water, thinking the clock was still running after you exhale.

Thoughts? In hindsight it's not holding your breath if you're exhaling, but surely under water it's how long can you be under water for!

Caporegime
2 minutes 20-ish is my record from a few years ago... tried it again relatively recently and managed over 2 minutes ago.

Biggest factors here are lung/O2 holding capacity and ability to manage the gasp reflex (or whatever it's called): tests with idiots and curare (muscle relaxant) show that - in the average person running at full saturation - blood O2 levels don't get dangerous until around 5 minutes (never managed to square this with my [limited] first aid training)... the test subject who was describing this at the time explained the reason they cut at 5 minutes was because the supervisors got panicky.

So what it - ultimately - comes down to is suppression of the gasp reflex in the first instance... you'll see videos of training divers starting to hiccup underwater as their bodies try to force intake of breath.

It fits in well with first aid training. It’s why chest compressions are so important. 5 minutes is usually the cut off time for the start of brain damage.

There’s still plenty of O2 in your lungs, but it’s not transferring you your blood and around your body. Compressions move the oxygenated blood round the body and help stave off oxygen starvation to cells. It’s why there’s less reliance on rescue breaths now (Vinny Jones’ staying alive advert).

Associate
World record is about 20 minutes by a freediver so it's possible but needs a lot of training even by the fittest.
I believe that was only accomplished on pure oxygen. In terms of what can be achieved by an expert randomly taking a deep breath of normal air, I'd expect somewhere lower than 20 minutes.

To OP: what you'll find is, in reality, you are probably physically capable of going beyond 1 minute, can probably even get to 2 or more right off the bat. What holds you back is the mental factor. You assume you can go no further so semi panic etc. If you just relax and force yourself to go on, it even feels easier thereafter.

Back
Top Bottom