How long do you all keep your monitors?

Associate
Just had a 27GP850-b now for 2 weeks bought for £399 from another company in the EU as not available in UK yet and found it amazing and can see myself keeping it for 5 years then upgrading to 4k. What about your screens?- do you keep for 5 years or swap out after 2 years?

Associate
Usually keep them for at least 3 years. I had a 27" Asus Swift Gsync for 3 years but upgraded to Ultrawide 34" a year ago and will not upgrade unless it dies on me. I would have kept the Asus but wanted to go ultrawide otherwise I would have kept it until it died on me. No need to change from ultrawide as it's awesome and I can't go back to 16:9. Only way I would is going for a higher res maybe in the future when the 4 series Geforce cards come out.

Associate
OP
Usually keep them for at least 3 years. I had a 27" Asus Swift Gsync for 3 years but upgraded to Ultrawide 34" a year ago and will not upgrade unless it dies on me. I would have kept the Asus but wanted to go ultrawide otherwise I would have kept it until it died on me. No need to change from ultrawide as it's awesome and I can't go back to 16:9. Only way I would is going for a higher res maybe in the future when the 4 series Geforce cards come out.

I feel for now 1440p is the perfect price/performance balance and even my 3090 maxes out at around 200fps at 1440p on some of my current 2020 games.

I don't think we will see high refresh 4k gaming for another 3 years perhaps when the RTX 50 series is out?

Soldato
Had a bog standard 27" 1080p screen for probably ten years now. Bought a 27" 1440p ips 165hz last year .. Can't see me replacing it any time soon.

Associate
Depends heavily on the pace of technology improvements and if there is anything worthwhile to upgrade to.

I remember there was a lull for quite a long while with almost nothing significant coming out in terms of higher refresh rate, resolution, colour depth etc... for several years - 1080p 60 Hz blah blah blah all the same. I was on a Dell WFP3008 at the time, I had that for many years.

Since that lull in improvements ended I've had three I think, most recent is an 38WN95C-W (38", 3840x1600, HDR600, 144 Hz refresh) which I upgraded to from an Acer (I forget which model) that was 34", 3440x1440, 60 Hz, no HDR.

I won't be going for anything bigger than this as a primary monitor (nothing bigger would fit on my desk), so I guess I won't be upgrading again for a fair while, maybe once 8k becomes viable. There are some 8k monitors available already, but no graphics cards capable of gaming on them at sensible framerate/quality settings.

Soldato
I got my benq GW276HT from OCUK in 2015 (know exact year as just 10 mins ago was checking previous orders), I replaced it this year, so was used for about 5 years. It is currently on my floor in living room, selling was the plan but I am unsure on it as I feel it will be hard to get anything for it that makes it worth selling especially as I would have to disclose the display port on it is dodgy.

My dell 2209wa, its currently been used as the display for my 2nd rig no idea when I purchased it.

All my older monitors have been sold or thrown away, only had one VA before the dell, and all other older ones were crappy TN's.

Current screen is LG 27GL850 which I got early this year.

I also forgot to mention I have a cheap asus ips on my desk as a second screen for my laptop, pfsense and PS3 display. For the price to be IPS is pretty good, but the stand etc, is super cheap, doesnt even have rotation, want it higher? then put it on a pile of books. :) I got this years ago but forgot when.

Last edited:
Soldato
bought a 24" 1080p TN one in 2012 and then a 27" 1440p IPS one in about 2019 or 20

next i am waiting for OLED 4K be become a common thing in a few years i hope

Soldato
Until something thats a big leap will come out. Had my PG348Q now for over 5 years now, 3440 x 1440, 100hz + G-Sync still holds up nice today. I expect I will change it out for a 42" OLED however so sometime next year most likely.

Associate
Depends what you mean by "keep".

The oldest monitor I still possess is a BenQ FP557-v2 from 2004. I keep it around because it has a VGA input which is useful for connectingf to old stuff that doesn't have a newer digital connector.

The oldest monitor I bought that's still in regular use is a BenQ V2210 Eco from 2010. Still works perfectly, and is used every day by another member of the family.

The oldest monitor I use myself is an HP ZR2740w from 2012. The colour has shifted noticably since it was new, to the point where it isn't quite right even after calibration, but otherwise it's fine. I actually would have replaced this one already, but for that to happen there has to be a monitor better than my primary monitor for me to buy, which hasn't happened yet.

Back
Top Bottom