How long does alcohol stay in the body?!

Associate
I'm having a blood test on monday but going out tonight, drinking commencing at 11.30pm probably through to 6.30am sunday morning..

how long does alcohol stay in ones body? or rather when should i stop drinking?!

Soldato
1 unit takes an hour to be removed i think - but they will still be able to tell if you have been drinking for probably a day or 2 afterwards, if they really looked.

Soldato
If I was in your situation the only thing I'd drink was a shandy.. then stay off alcohol for the rest of the night, can't be worth risking your job / whatever it is.. or trying to explain why there is alcohol in your blood still :p

Permabanned
the last time i checked alcohol was legal and the only possible reason i can think of where it would be an issue is a court order to stop you drinking (rehab and what have you). but it is 1 unit per hour, which includes when you are actually still drinking i.e. 10 hour binge in that 10 hours you have used 10 units.

the question is why do you care.

Soldato
I always wonder what would happen about this if they do bring in the zero drink-drive limit. Would it mean that a moderate friday night out would mean you can't drive at all saturday

Man of Honour

I expect it's for a new job.

I wouldn't have more than about 10 pints tonight, just to be on the save side.

I always wonder what would happen about this if they do bring in the zero drink-drive limit. Would it mean that a moderate friday night out would mean you can't drive at all saturday
They can't, the body can produce alcohol on it's own.

Last edited:
Associate
1 unit per hour.

Just be careful you can build up lots of units without realising it - especially if you drink every day.

I drank two pints the night before my D&A test and showed up nothing. (two pints would take four hours to clear on average)

Man of Honour
lol..

10 pints (20units) would take you well over in the morning. you wouldnt clear that till the eve of next day ;)

yes but he's finishing at 6:30am. So even we you take it from there. That's 20 hours. His test isn't till Monday. Plenty of time. the clock also starts 30mins after your first pint. So he will of already cleared 7units by the time he stops drinking.

Caporegime
the last time i checked alcohol was legal and the only possible reason i can think of where it would be an issue is a court order to stop you drinking (rehab and what have you). but it is 1 unit per hour, which includes when you are actually still drinking i.e. 10 hour binge in that 10 hours you have used 10 units.

Depends on what the blood test is for. If it's for a job, then he might not want to look like some raging alcoholic. Alternatively, if it's for medical reasons, then there could be implications there too.

There's no question of legality here, just what you might want other people to know.

Soldato
for the record even a pint of carling is about 2.5 units, something which is 5% is more like 3-3.5 units.

Carling is 4.1% and a pint is 568ml so what you have here is the equation to work out units of alchohol.

(4.1/1000)*568 = 2.3

(5/1000)*568=2.84

Just so you know.

KaHn

Back
Top Bottom