how long for alcohol to leave your system ?

Soldato
Remember that alcohol will only start being metabolized by your liver AFTER you stop drinking so always count the hours once the drinking stops.

You drink 7 pints at 4% gives you roughly 15.75hrs until your body has got rid of the methanol.

You finish drinking them at 11pm you should theoretically be good to drive at 3pm the next day. :)

You drink 7 pints of Stella at 5% then consider driving at 7pm the next evening.

I am amazed over the years with friends who think because they have drunk 7/8 pints they are good to drive the next morning. Its not about how many pints you have had, its all about the abv.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know alcohol stays in the system overnight. After a particularly heavy session one night I had to go coach rugby the next morning about 7hours later. I swear I could taste beer in my sweat :confused:

Associate
don't confuse pints with drinks. a drink generally means 1 unit; ie a shot of vodka. a pint (of beer/lager) is usually 2 units maybe 2.5.

the general rule is 1 hour per unit, but add 2 extra hours to be safe. serious alkies can do 3-4 units an hour... but if that applies to you then you shouldnt be driving at all.

Man of Honour
Really? So if you finished your 7th pint at midnight, come 6 or 7pm the next day you would still refuse to drive? I know it's always good to err on the side of caution but surely you have to be realistic?

If I drank 7 pints over the course of say 5 hours, I would give it at the very minimum 12 hours before considering driving. If I felt ropey at all I wouldn't drive unless I really needed to but in saying that I'm a fairly hefty chap (14st 8) and have a reasonably high tolerance to alcohol.

It is very likely I am being over-cautious Scuzi but I can't afford to take the chance for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, there is random drug and alcohol testing in place at work and a recent ( several years back ) edict from the Home Office stated that if you are convicted of drink driving you are out of a job so I won't take the chance and choose to err on the side of caution.

A colleague recently fell foul of that and was dismissed after 20 odd years.

If I am at work the next day on lates, 1400 / 1500-0000 I will have no more than 3 pints the night before.

Better safe and all that.:)

Soldato
Usually, assuming I don't feel rough etc I'll leave it till noon. It really does depend though, sometimes you can have 10 pints from say 6-12 and be good to go at 10am, sometimes you might still feel ropey in the afternoon. I don't believe there is a cut and dry method, in the same way sometimes x amount of drink might have you comotose on one occasion and almost completely sober on another, there are too many variables to give a definite time. The only certain figure is that you need to be below 80mg.

Man of Honour
It is very likely I am being over-cautious Scuzi but I can't afford to take the chance for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, there is random drug and alcohol testing in place at work and a recent ( several years back ) edict from the Home Office stated that if you are convicted of drink driving you are out of a job so I won't take the chance and choose to err on the side of caution.

A colleague recently fell foul of that and was dismissed after 20 odd years.

If I am at work the next day on lates, 1400 / 1500-0000 I will have no more than 3 pints the night before.

Better safe and all that.:)

Makes perfect sense. I'm the same, if I am caught with a fraction more than a quarter of the drink drive limit I'm out of a job. It's simply not worth it on work nights.

Associate
if you eat and drink a fair amount of water it will help to clear your system

Not true and potentially dangerous advice! You cannot speed up the rate at which your liver processes alcohol by eating or drinking - it might make you feel more coherent and lessen the chance of a bad hangover the next morning, but it won't remove the alcohol from your blood stream. Neither will coffee or a cold shower!

To the OP, I don't like lager but I will drink everything else, if I had 7 pints of cider there is no way in hell I would drive the next morning. As someone said, giving it about 15 hours it would be 3pm at the earliest.

Best advice is, if you need to drive the next day - drink less, perhaps no more than 8 units or 3-4 pints (personally if I was driving in the morning I would not have even this). If in doubt on the day, don't drive! Drunk drivers DO kill and DO go to prison, I knew a guy who drank and drove regularly and ended up in prison at 19 after he hit and killed someone... it's not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom