• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

how long has a 6600gt got left to live

Associate
well im trying to say some cash for my next system but with games like oblivion and stuff coming soon how long you think my 6600gt will last, i only play at 1024x768 so im not gunna need mega power just so my gaming is exceptable thanks.

Associate
what is the rest of your rig like?

I have just upgraded from a 7900gt from a 6600gt and i could run fear, bf2, n4s most wanted, tomb raider legends all maxed @ 1024x768. no AA on fear though.

it should easily last till august if you play at low/medium details. But if you want full eye candy etc then not long as that is why i have just upgraded, plus the prices of the GTs are excellent and i dont think they will get much better in the near future.

Associate
For medium or average I think at least another year, depends how much you will compromise. Eventually it'll fail to meet some standard and become redundant like happened to ti4200 but that wont be for years. Its directx9 and sm2 or sm3?

Associate
A 6600GT is a pretty capable budget card. You should be able to play all the modern games and 1024x768 with either High or Medium settings, depending on the game. In 6 months time you might need to play them all at medium settings and in 12 months low settings. Obviously with no AA or AF. Alternatively if you have an SLI setup then you could consider adding a second 66GT to improve performance. This can be done for as little as £50.

If however you want an upgrade then the 7600GT is more than capable of palying all the modern games at high settings at 1024x768 including the future ones.

King.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wile E. Coyote said:
Have just added a second 6600gt for sli, can play COD2 on 1024x768 with most settings on high and AA set at 2XQ in the settings menu. Hopfully should see me okay for at least a year
Least we forget it can SLI.

I'd hang on to that card (or 2), I have feeling it will be like 9800 PRO & XT now - sort of 'hot cakes' :D

Back
Top Bottom