How long is too long?

Soldato
Hi guys

So I'm sat here wondering if its time for a job change. I'm 33 and have been in my current job for around 10-11 years. Before this job i worked at Staples for 6 and a half years. 2 years part time and then 4 and a half full time. With my current job i started on the helpdesk and have worked my way up through the levels to Datacentre Supervisor. I have no interest in managing people and if I'm honest i don't enjoy the non technical aspect of my current job. (Licencing and Datacentre stuff like contracts for fire suppression, AC etc..)

Before i became Datacentre Supervisor i was a European Infrastructure Engineer so would look after SANs, VMware, Citrix etc across our European entities and i found this a lot more interesting. However when you are offered a promotion and more money you take it i guess? I always thought if i didn't I'd basically be saying I've hit my limit and this is where i want to be. The new job was pretty much created specifically for me too!

Most of the morning I've been sat here wondering whether its time to look for something new or just stick out what I'm doing. As its my only IT job i don't know any better. I've been told by people who have moved to my company that its a good company to work for but they are going to say that aren't they.. Lol

As a sidenote which may or may not influence your answers i'm also son to a 1 year old and a wife that looks after him so we only have my wage coming in. (By the time childcare would've came out of hers there would be nothing left..) Also, we started our own business a few months back creating lasercut items for various local craft businesses. This is going well but it means that when i stop working here i then have to go home and start there and can be quite tiring. However, it would be something I'd love to expand in future if it ever became popular enough.

So, with all that in mind do i:

a) Look for something new, a fresh start doing technical stuff i like maybe with a pay drop depending on what i can find or how close to London i go.
b) Stick it out here and hope it gets better
c) Drop everything and push the lasercutting/own business and do that full time
d) //insert suggestion here//

Andy :)

Man of Honour
Is there anything your current employer could offer you that interests you more? It depends on your relationship with them, but I'd ask to have a talk with your manager about it. If it really is a good place to work - one worth staying in at least - then I'd like to think that discussing it shouldn't put you at any disadvantage.

Soldato
OP
To be honest i wouldn't mind going back to my old Infrastructure Engineer job but since the baby has come along i don't really want to travel abroad anymore. (My current job has extremely minimal travel as the Datacentres are UK based) Which was why i was thinking about doing the Infrastructure job elsewhere.

However I'd probably get a pay cut going back to my old job so it might not be possible with me being the only bread winner right now. Although saying that we've dropped to one car, dropped Sky etc so are better off to the tune of £200 a month now anyway. Decisions decisions...

edit: To answer your question they do like me and i believe even if i tried to leave they will try and tempt me to stay. My main boss is a good guy and has said before that I'm an important part of the team. (He had been drinking alcohol and he obviously has to be nice but still.. :D)

Associate
Its a hard choice when you young ones to look after. I am currently in a similar position i have a one year old and five year old, my wife is a stay at home mum for now, due to the cost of child care and so on. So i understand the need of stability. We tried to get a home business up and running a couple of years ago but it didn't work.
I have been in the same industry for 13 years at three different companies, with a fair bit of traveling in those years. I spent 10 years at a firm i enjoyed work for and the people i worked with. But the money was poor and after my daughter was born i needed to earn more.
I changed firms, slightly different role but the same, great money and hated everything about the place. That only lasted a year, good rid-dons that place sucked the living sole out of me and destroyed my self confidence. Turned me into a shadow of what i was at the previous place and as of a person.
Moved on again to another firm, small and everything is good. The people are nice and pay is good too. The people i work with are so negative about the firm, but they have never worked anywhere else and can't see all the positive sides. But i am bored of it the industry and need serious change. The 2nd firm completely destroyed my enjoyment for my job and i currently consider becoming a taxi driver (private hire).

Sorry i didn't mean to steal your thread, but the point that i am trying to make the grass is not always greener on the other side. I have learned my lesson the hard way.

Associate
To actually answer the question this time, why don't stay put for now and push your own business until its at the point when one of you do need to do it full-time. Once you are at this point, you can push it even harder and the wife can be on board full time once your son is at school. At least with a plan similar to this you are your own boss and your destiny is your your own hands.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input guys. I know what you mean about changing. I'm not brilliant with change as it is and as much as I'd like to try it there's always that doubt in my mind that what if its worse?! I'm going to talk to my boss and see what i can do about at least dropping the licencing side of things and being 50/50 datacentre/technical stuff or something like that. They only chose me to do the licencing stuff because they know how anal/ocd i am about things... Lol!

In the meantime our magic number for the business is to make enough to pay my wife around £200-300 a month. Its not a massive figure but most of the stuff we cut right now are small cheap items so to make serious money requires shifting a lot of them. (Something our current laser wouldn't handle.) However saying that i won't do anything to purposely slow our companies growth if that's the way its going. :)

Soldato
OP
A little update...

So here we are 8 months later and I’m still really not enjoying myself job wise and need to find something new. :( However, I’ve dipped my toe in the new job market and have signed up with a few jobsites and putting my CV out there. I’ve had a few calls but nothing has really taken my fancy as of yet. Ideally I want a Citrix role or Infrastructure Engineer role. I’ve also started work on getting my CCENT as networking is my weakest area so once I plug that gap I’ll be able to support stuff all the way through. :)

I also have a couple of questions for you guys:

I was thinking about telling my boss that I’m looking to leave because I want to go and do something else, new challenge, something Citrix related. (We are winding down Citrix here so it isn’t an option he could offer me…) I read in another thread that a lot of people thought it was a bad idea? To be honest I’m doing it for their benefit as I have a 3 month contract so would like to give them time to find my replacement and in turn allow me to go earlier. Rather than waiting for an offer and then handing in my resignation out of the blue. (And then maybe having to wait 3 months to leave…) So should I wait for a new offer? Or tell them now?? I have good relationships with my bosses and don’t want to burn my bridges like some leavers have done before.

Soldato
Good relationship or not it's still a bad idea. It will be taken personally, they'll know you're probably not going to work to your best knowing you're unhappy and if anything comes up/role changes you'd be at the top of the list to go. Finding a replacement? What if they find them and hire them but you don't go? That's an extra head on their books they don't need all because someone wasn't happy.

Contracts can be negotiated so if your relationship is that good you should be able to get it down to a month, but either way someone won't be happy.

Soldato
As above.

Giving hints that you're looking to leave will sour even the best of relationships with your manager. It's telling him that you're not happy etc etc, and that he's going to eventually have to go through the process of recruiting and deal with the handover.

Until you've got something lined up, it's just not worth mentioning.

Caporegime
Telling someone you're going to leave doesn't necessarily sour a relationship nor do all managers take it personally, it is pretty stupid of those who do tbh.. especially if you've been there for a while - people will inevitably want to move on in their careers so it is simply a part of managing people. However there isn't really much to gain from telling them and it can especially backfire if you do tell them and then don't find another job for a while - you're then screwing yourself re: pay rises, bonuses etc.. also if you've got 3 months notice then they'll have plenty of time to find a replacement when you do decide to leave.

Soldato
OP
I never expected these responses until i saw the other thread but i can see where you are all coming from. To be honest i'm definitely a bit naieve here as i'm 34 and this is my second ever job! First in IT!! :) I was just worried that i'd get forced into working the whole 3 months or whether the prospect of a 3 month wait would put off companies of jobs i apply for. Although saying that the last guy who left went in 1 month despite having a 3 month contract. He did massively torch his bridges though and will never be back...

Soldato
I never expected these responses until i saw the other thread but i can see where you are all coming from. To be honest i'm definitely a bit naieve here as i'm 34 and this is my second ever job! First in IT!! :) I was just worried that i'd get forced into working the whole 3 months or whether the prospect of a 3 month wait would put off companies of jobs i apply for. Although saying that the last guy who left went in 1 month despite having a 3 month contract. He did massively torch his bridges though and will never be back...

When i applied for my current job, after i'd had the initial interviews i then had a call with HR to negotiate a salary, and it was discussed what my notice period of my old job was.

Don't let your notice period put you off, if your new employer wants you, then they will happily wait for your notice period to finish.

Back
Top Bottom