1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long to get used to wearing glasses for first time ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chaparral, Dec 8, 2016.

1. chaparral

Capodecina

I had my eye's tested at specsavers and picked up my first ever pair of glasses a few days ago..

This is the first time I ever wore glasses and am I finding it impossible to keep them on for very as it so blurry/fuzzy it makes my eyes hurt...

My eyes were hurting so much from wearing these glasses yesterday that I was just thinking of giving up the idea of wearing glasses.

How long does it normally take to get used to wearing a pair of glasses for first time ?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. pepp77

Mobster

Go back to where you got them/had your eyes tested, it should be weird for the first little bit of time, but it shouldnt be blurry/fuzzy it should seem overly clear (at least that is my experience).

3. chaparral

Capodecina

I was going to go back to specsavers today but thought I give it one more extra day to see if it helped..

4. FurryLemon

Wise Guy

I can't remember. I've been wearing glasses since I was a nipper. That's alonggggg time ago.

5. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Mine was a instant wow, what a massive difference with no hurting of my eyes. To be honest if your vision is blurry/fuzzy and your eyes are hurting then they may have got your prescription wrong. Didn't they get you to try them before you left the shop?

6. chaparral

Capodecina

Only just very quickly, no tests or anything were done..

She said not to pair them straight away to wait till i get home as walking/driving etc maybe strange...

7. joeyjojo

Soldato

As above the glasses sound wrong.

My experience with glasses is they make everything sharper and reduce the feeling of eye strain. You've described the opposite.

8. tom_e

Man of Honour

Definitely sounds like the prescription is off. I've been wearing glasses/contacts since I was a toddler but I ordered some online a couple of years ago and had exactly the same problem and ended up returning them.

9. [SKR]Phoenix

Wise Guy

Should have gone to Spec...

Oh.

10. tnx

Wise Guy

My eyes got old and stopped working properly a couple of years back. It was getting harder to read small print, then even big print was hard to read.
    I went off to Specsavers, had my eyes tested, took me nearly 1 hour which was some sort of record ?
    So I ended up needing glasses to read with and a different pair for every day stuff, driving and the like.

As soon as I wore them things were a whole lot better. I had no issues apart from it took my brain a few days to stop noticing the frames.

So as other have suggested go straight back, maybe get re-tested by a different person. Something does not sound quite right.

11. chaparral

Capodecina

Anyone wrong if my glasses prescription is wrong if I got paid for each set of glasses till it right or do they not charge ?

As these glasses cost £314 :(

12. tom_e

Man of Honour

They'll sort it FOC.

13. DXP55

Mobster

+1 on this

Best thing I did was to go for frame less Titanium - so light on nose.

When I was a nipper I used to put my Dads glasses on and was as you describe -fuzzy and thinking I was treading in a hole.

14. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Sounds like you have the wrong glasses to me. Putting mine on for the first time made me appreciate just how "off" my visions had progressed.

15. chaparral

Capodecina

I was thinking of going to boots to get a test done so I could compare it to the specsavers test results

My specsavers test
    R +0.50 -0.75 90.0 +1.50
    L +0.50 -0.75 100.0 +1.50

16. wingman

Mobster

26 year old here who "had" to start wearing glasses almost a year ago. At first I noticed my vision was sharpened, nothing too drastic as I have only a slight prescription, but without a shadow of a doubt an improvement. No fuzziness that I can recall.

What bothered me most about wearing glasses was a faint little ache on the bridge of my nose which wasn't always there, but persisted on and off for a month or two.

I don't need them for everything but they barely come off my face now, feel naked without them.

17. ots3go

Mobster

Couple of months back I became a day to day speccy4eyes.

I found it to be immediately better, less strain, feeling less tired at my desk, everything crisp and sharp.

Getting used to it in the sense of walking, feeling like my legs were tiny, and them being on my face took several weeks though.

18. chaparral

Capodecina

I ine walking fine..

I went out driving last night and kept on taking them off & on and noticed how much clearer/sharper everything was without wearing...(Apart from my dash clocks where clearer with them on)

19. Siliconslave

Man of Honour

at that sort of level you really shouldn't be feeling off - get right back in there and describe whats happening. Sounds like they've messed up something like the PD (distance between your eyes) which will make you feel pretty sick if its wrong.

They should do this without complaint or charge.

I wouldn't bother getting a second opinion unless they don't fix it in a timely manner. its worth nothing that even if you do get annother check it may well vary slightly...

20. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

^ Had the exact same happen to me when they buggered up my latest pair. I only wear them for riding, but the instant I hopped on the bike it was like I'd shrunk by three foot. Went back and they swore blind (har har) that they'd done my 'scrip correct, including a slight 'aim-off' correction sort of thing which was what was skewing my eyes.

Problem was, when I was banked over in a corner, the ground suddenly looked like it was RIGHT in my face and I was reflexively backing off to correct... which in reality meant I was running wide on the curve and in serious danger. I simply had them make me a new set to the same old 'scrip, which wasn't really very different, and have been safely riding ever since.

So yeah, OP, any serious problems or discomfort, go straight back and get it sorted.