How long to wait for a reply after an interview?

Associate
I had an interview 2 weeks ago today for a new job, the interviewer did say that they were interviewing last Wednesday and Thursday also so it would have been a week ago on thursday that they done their last interviews. How long roughly do you think would be reasonable to wait for a response before chasing them up?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Worth giving them a poke tomorrow, a week is plenty of time for them to either know or at least have some idea how much longer it'll be.

It was nearly a month at my current place due to sickness and HR sticking their oar in and wanting a third interview without them knowing I'd already been through 2.

Associate
There can be all sorts of crap happening in the background, as mentioned sickness, or politics, budget-wrangling, last-minute interviews (or annoyingly, people who miss interviews and are given a longer time to come back, past when they were supposed to stop doing them, thereby lengthening the process for everyone)...

Isn't unreasonable to chase them up after 2 weeks though, that's a long time to be left hanging. At least just to politely ask if they have an idea of when they'll know they'll be able to get back to you (if they can't give you a straight answer there and then)

Soldato
thanks guys, i'll give them until the end of next week and give them a call/email if i haven't heard.

Don't wait, call them now. The worst they can say is "we're at x stage in the process, so call back in y days". Either way, you'll know more by calling them, don't delay it.

Also, don't email them, call them.

Associate
OP
It is what they called a "pipeline position". They have a turnover of on average 12 staff per year so they were interviewing for people to go into the pipeline for the job. Those that pass the interview and go into the pipeline are then security vetted etc ready to go straight into training and when a position becomes available.

Soldato
If it were agents then you didnt get the job, if its direct then ring and ask - it may prompt them to hurry up in case they think they might lose you (if you are their candidate)

Back
Top Bottom