• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How long until third party coolers for 5870?

Soldato
Since i'm stuck with a card that has an annoying whine now and again from the fan i am wondering when Arctic Accelero coolers will be around ?

or is it something that's going to happen in so many months that it will be pretty much pointless waiting?

Soldato
OP
I dont want a waterblock i mean the third party air coolers.

Anyway it seems sapphire support is total rubbish because they havent even got 5870 listed on their support page.. pfft

so i cant even contact them about the whine on my card, worst tech support ive ever seen.

Caporegime
Frankly, every card i've gotten in the past 3 years has gotten the same treatment, shroud off, while you're at it a bit of as5/whatever else on the core instead of the stock paste, then ziptie a 120mm fan to the heatsink, £5 fan, silent cooling which is vastly better cooling than crappy blower fans get you. Air temps barely rise in the case, more noticeably with the 4870x2 unsurprisingly :p I was too lazy to put anything to deflect the air going from card straight to cpu cooler, only made a 3-4C difference which didn't effect top stable overclock. If I was less lazy or more worried you could use a smaller fan(main reason air goes straight into my cpu sink is the 120mm overhangs the card by a good couple centimetre's so it pushes air up that way, a smaller fan would have less direct airflow, or use something to channel the air elsewhere.

I would buy a 3rd party cooler, maybe, if it was cheapish and out soon enough, but they never are, months and months wait for an average cooler thats 5 times as expensive and cools aswell as a strapped on £5 fan, which you can do from the day you recieve the card?

What companies need to start doing though, is sapphire for instance, letting you buy the vapour cooler they have on their own versions, from their website at cost basically, so you don't have to wait months to buy the card, but pay for the cooler when its available.

Caporegime
I dont want a waterblock i mean the third party air coolers.

Anyway it seems sapphire support is total rubbish because they havent even got 5870 listed on their support page.. pfft

so i cant even contact them about the whine on my card, worst tech support ive ever seen.

wait, because the cards not listed in a drop down list, they have the worst support ever and you can't possibly contact them?

That really is complete and utter nonsense, did it occur to you, to pick, anything, and send an e-mail about a 5870, I think they might work out what you're talking about.

Honest to god thats the single worst reason I've EVER seen anyone use as a reason someones support sucks, and this is a tech forum, there have been some terrible reasons before.

Soldato
OP
Alright i will try with anything down in the product selection and try and contact support..

I said rubbish because of what others said on another forum, basically pointless contacting them apparently. But i will try.

Support from the place i bought from was rubbish though, not even 1 reply.

EDIT: seems they have 5870 listed now, it definately was not there when i looked last.

Last edited:
Associate
I would say a little longer than they did for the 4 series as the coolers are less of a concern in terms of heat and noise for most people but they will come!

Back
Top Bottom