How Many Have We Got? (Who work in healthcare).

Soldato
I'm an Ambulance Dispatcher for West Midlands Ambulance Service. I also act up to Controller/Allocator for an area, I am responsible for the prompt and correct dispatch of 999 Ambulances to Emergency and Urgent calls in the Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Shropshire areas. Involves staring at 5 Computer screens for 12 hours, using the Airwave Radio system and organising vehicles on Stand-Bys etc.

I also run my local Community First Response Scheme in a small town just outside of Cannock in Staffordshire. We voluntarily respond to Emergency calls on behalf of West Midlands Ambulance Service (http://www.nbbdcfr.org) we are the only schemes of our type in the country in the way we operate (We have Scheme Cars and also respond on Blue Lights and Sirens). I'm currently qualified to RoSPA Silver Standard in Advanced Driving and EDI Level 3 in Emergency Response Driving.

We go to all manner of Emergency calls ranging from a trip or fall to a Cardiac Arrest where someone is not breathing. We are trained to a nationally recognised standard by Paramedics. Usually we respond to calls that are within about 8 or 9 minutes of where we live but depending on demand we can go further than that also.

Currently I have a team of 7 Responders who provide cover most of the week on our Rapid Response vehicle.

Man of Honour
The NHS is one of the top 10 largest employers in the world. Something silly like 1 in 35 people in the UK work for them. So it's not a shock to find that there are loads of em here!

When I was facilitating Corporate Induction at our Trust my literature said the NHS were the 4th.
Above us are The Chinese Liberation Army, Indian Railways and Walmart.

Soldato
I have retired from actively working in the NHS but in fairness didn't work in it for too long as I hopped around the world a bit. I should say I retired early to look after my family rather than being old! But I do consultancy work now and then. I used to be an intensivist with specific areas of expertise being renal replacement therapy and transplantation, autoimmune response (specifically SLE) and trauma stabilisation (was in the TA). I am researching areas which I am sure regulars on here would be too hard pressed to guess because I frequently rabble on about head scans, get annoyed by people saying ADHD is not 'real', etc. I am also specifically very interested in the autoimmune response in Multiple Sclerosis and the ways we can prevent prevent further remission and attacks. And that's my mini CV with most of the important detail omitted!

When I was facilitating Corporate Induction at our Trust my literature said the NHS were the 4th.
Above us are The Chinese Liberation Army, Indian Railways and Walmart.

Top 5 from last year - NHS is 7th. Amazing McDonalds is that big but I guess it's global.

US Department of Defense 3.2 million
Chinese Army 2.3 million
Walmart 2.1 million
McDonalds 1.7 million
Chinese National Petroleum Corp 1.7 million

Back
Top Bottom