How many of you have switched to Visual Studio Code?

Soldato
OP
I use it for Angular dev however I still use full Visual Studio for c#/.net core/MVC etc as its not really suited to those so much.

I'm transitioning into JS, CSS and HTML. Along with doing blockchain work which will require both server and desktop dev. Probably in Rust on the server side and C# Core for desktop stuff.

I'm hoping Visual Studio Code can cope.

Permabanned
hah, just tried one of our .net core web API's for lols and it was up and working within a few mins after installing the appropriate extensions.

Might switch over to using it for a bit see if there is any benefit over full visual studio.

Associate
I switched to VS Code quite a while ago for all my HTML, CSS and JavaScript work, still use Android Studio for Flutter development but this also has great support for VS Code so will probably switch that over soon.

Associate
Used it whilst messing around with angular a while back, and did look at it for C++ dev but the setup to get it all working easily was boring so I gave up on it.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Used it for a couple of years now (Front-end Dev). Only needs minimal extensions to get it working how I like. I came from Atom with many extensions, and Sublime prior to that. Also used it with an early version of Flutter and that worked very nicely. Also works well with our GIT workflow.

Only drawback is huge files. Native apps fare better (Sublime) but it's rare you'll come across that unless you're into some obscure stuff.

Man of Honour
I actually haven't tried it yet. I really must. A couple of years ago I took a decision to get a subscription to Jebrains All Products license and their tools cover every language I need. But I really should try VS Code to see whether I could switch to it to save money.

I went with Jetbrains because I wanted a consistent IDE across all languages rather than using plugins which might work differently for each language. But I think it's worth trying VSC.

Soldato
OP
I actually haven't tried it yet. I really must. A couple of years ago I took a decision to get a subscription to Jebrains All Products license and their tools cover every language I need. But I really should try VS Code to see whether I could switch to it to save money.

I went with Jetbrains because I wanted a consistent IDE across all languages rather than using plugins which might work differently for each language. But I think it's worth trying VSC.

I did the same as you but am slowly moving over to Visual Studio Code as I can set it up quickly on any computer and the chances are that most of my contributors are using it anyway.

Soldato
Is VSC a good JS editor? I ask as I use Visual Studio Professional at work and it is HORRIFIC for anything to do with HTML or JS. It even completely butchers the layout of ASP.Net Razor pages. Similarly the JS intellisense will mindlessly list every possible method/property contained in any library instead of contextually listing those relevant for the current variable type.

Soldato
OP
Is VSC a good JS editor? I ask as I use Visual Studio Professional at work and it is HORRIFIC for anything to do with HTML or JS. It even completely butchers the layout of ASP.Net Razor pages. Similarly the JS intellisense will mindlessly list every possible method/property contained in any library instead of contextually listing those relevant for the current variable type.

Yes it is good for JS, CSS and HTML.

Associate
I use it for Unity Development at home (C#). Also for any basic text files and ****** scripting work. Also sometimes use Notepad++.
For Unity the differences are massive it has all the support I need to do the work but starts up in a 10th of the time (compared to full fat visual studio) and has a much smaller running footprint.

At work I use if for everything on both linux and Mac. C/C++, Javascript, Fortran, Perl, Haskell, Prolog, HTML, ****** scripting.
An entire office full of people arguing about whether Vi, Vim or emacs is better and I have a full GUI, syntax highlighting, syntax completion, spell checker and remote debugging over SSH.

There is normally an extension out there to do what you need that you can access with a couple of key strokes.
Its new remote tools are amazing.
I have not had chance to try its collaboration tools but I have heard good things.

As above the only problems I have seen are when you try to open a massive file or a project containing LOTS of files.

Back
Top Bottom