• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

how much better is the 7970 over the 670?

If I decide on a fresh install (maybe Windows 8), I will buy another 120 and Raid it then. I am very lazy and cba doing a new install with all the updates.

Windows 8 would be a good choice, less updates and all that. Seems like a nice excuse to upgrade too (for me it really is noticeably better than 7).

I would be concerned about the X79/X58 issues also. It seems that some work and some don't and AMD are aware of the problem but so far no fix.

That's the bit I'm stuck on, the people on X79 boards with the issue seem to be on Rampage IV boards, but I don't know if that's just a coincidence or not.

There are a few threads about it,its affecting X58/79 mobo's.

I tried it on a RIVE with crossfired Matrix Platinums,
it was ok for a couple of days then it went pear shaped.

AMD know about the issue and are trying to sort it.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-to-Trifire-Eyefinity-issue-on-the-Rampage-IV

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33994670 post 15

It seems to be Rampage IV boards mainly (for X79), would you say that's right or just a coincidence?

I recalled some one saying something about the latest AMD Beta drivers has stopped the crashing for them, but I can't remember who it was now (it was on this forum though).

What's also unclear is what the issue actually is, what I've read so far just says incompatibility and AMD are trying things out, it's not clear whether the issue is the Intel chipset or the AMD cards.

It seems to be Rampage IV boards mainly (for X79), would you say that's right or just a coincidence?

I recalled some one saying something about the latest AMD Beta drivers has stopped the crashing for them, but I can't remember who it was now (it was on this forum though).

What's also unclear is what the issue actually is, what I've read so far just says incompatibility and AMD are trying things out, it's not clear whether the issue is the Intel chipset or the AMD cards.

There does seem to be more ppl with the Rampage IV Extreme than
any other having the issue :(

In the ROG thread there is a lot of finger pointing at intel.

Well I'm certainly not getting a Rampage IV board :p

It's very odd that it's present on X58 boards too though.

Well it doesn't really matter who's at fault, just as long as it's fixed of course. I just hope the ASRock Extreme9 is free from it. :p

Completely off topic, but does anyone have experience of the Extreme9 and its soundcard that comes with it? I'm curious as to whether it has Dolby Digital Live 5.1 capability (The creative cards that also use the Sound Core3D chip have it).

I'm really undecided now. I was really looking to get X79 with a Hexcore CPU for reasons beyond games (8 RAM slots is a bonus for me too). I'm really not sure what to do now :p

Check out the Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB 2400C11 kit's that just got released in November, they are really cheap - under £40, OcUK need to stock them, I splashed out on 2x8GB kit, plus UK RMA base.

Forget Corsair, it's all name and expense...! Kingston biggest RAM/Memory producer in the world - fact, loads cheaper for same performance.

SSD's, go for Crucial, or Kingston - they have UK RMA warranty, also Intel is good, they will pick it up by courier if it fails.

As for graphics cards, if money is tight get the 7950 best for price/performance ratio, otherwise if you got £200+ spare income a week, buy any card you want, it won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things will it lol.

I went with a HAF X case, it's a good case - great cooling, better than Corsair fashion victim cases anyway lol.

I know i maybe going on a bit but £1150 is not pocket money, im not over complicating it its a big choice and has to last around 3 years :\ So id like to nail it!

I am listening to people and swapping bits around each time and i think ive went off the fortress, just been looking at some vids and the fans all aim to the top so ill hear everything! i doubt it will be good for noise control :|

According to these

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti/29/

I think i would notice it, the 7970 is a good chunk ahead sometimes.

I have swapped it for the Intel SSD now i just hope its as quick it seems to have lower write speeds?

RAM is RAM im not paying any extra for it.

I also went into the Cosair case and it seems a bit crap too.

You are overcomplicating it. It might seem/feel big to you but it's really not (again, I'm not saying that to be mean or harsh). The reason I've said you're not listening is because you keep asking the same questions that I've seen people answer multiple times, so you must not really be listening.

I didn't mean you won't notice a difference between a 7970 and a 7950, what I mean is that there is no reason why you shouldn't just get a 7950 and set the core speed to 1000Mhz.

You will not notice any difference between a 7970 and 7950 at 1000Mhz (which is a conservative overclock so more than doable).

You should be fine with a 120GB Intel SSD and a 2TB hard disk. The performance of them seems very high to me from what I've looked at (I haven't been able to test mine properly yet since I'm only on SATA 2 at the moment which bottlenecks the drives).

As I asked before, do you *need* a Bluray writer? I'm guessing not, so just get a Bluray reader, save some money there.

RAM isn't really RAM in terms of it's all the same, but generally for your usage it's best to get the cheapest 1600Mhz you can find, I would suggest 16GB over 8GB though, the difference in price isn't very large, and 16GB will be more likely to last you around 3 years.

The reason I'm saying you're dragging it out is because it feels like you've been asking these questions for ages now, but it's the sort of thing that really should take a few hours to choose.

Last edited:
I'm really undecided now. I was really looking to get X79 with a Hexcore CPU for reasons beyond games (8 RAM slots is a bonus for me too). I'm really not sure what to do now :p

Go for the above

If it effects both X58 and X79 its not the platform at fault. I don't know a lot about the problem but from what I understand of it, its a AMD thing and for them to sort out.

Having said that its a bit difficult if you already have an AMD setup.

With it working on Z77 and other chipsets though? That's where the confusion is. People seem unsure who to blame here, intel or AMD.

I've already got the graphics cards and 3 monitors. To be completely honest, playing games on a single screen until it's sorted isn't a huge issue to me as I have 3 screens for more than just games, I have a practical usage of them regardless.

It would be hard to blame intel as were talking about two totally different platforms, the one thing they have in common is the cards that get put in them. That does not help you very much though.

The other thing about X58 in particular is that it has been around for years so the onus is on AMD to make sure their modern GPUs are compatable.

You are overcomplicating it. It might seem/feel big to you but it's really not (again, I'm not saying that to be mean or harsh). The reason I've said you're not listening is because you keep asking the same questions that I've seen people answer multiple times, so you must not really be listening.

I didn't mean you won't notice a difference between a 7970 and a 7950, what I mean is that there is no reason why you shouldn't just get a 7950 and set the core speed to 1000Mhz.

You will not notice any difference between a 7970 and 7950 at 1000Mhz (which is a conservative overclock so more than doable).

You should be fine with a 120GB Intel SSD and a 2TB hard disk. The performance of them seems very high to me from what I've looked at (I haven't been able to test mine properly yet since I'm only on SATA 2 at the moment which bottlenecks the drives).

As I asked before, do you *need* a Bluray writer? I'm guessing not, so just get a Bluray reader, save some money there.

RAM isn't really RAM in terms of it's all the same, but generally for your usage it's best to get the cheapest 1600Mhz you can find, I would suggest 16GB over 8GB though, the difference in price isn't very large, and 16GB will be more likely to last you around 3 years.

The reason I'm saying you're dragging it out is because it feels like you've been asking these questions for ages now, but it's the sort of thing that really should take a few hours to choose.

I dont think building a new PC takes a couple of hours to choose lol, its gonna be there for atleast 3 years, ive got to pick wisely.

I know i maybe go on a bit but its just double checking, no harm in asking.

120GB will get used up very fast by windows, with 240GB i can fit a good few games on there too, it really is a big difference imo.

I think i can agree on the 7950 and that puts the extra cash away for a newer card in the future when needed, so i maybe get one of them, looking at the ASUS again i want a silent card and thats the best around so i dont really wanna change from that.

The blueray drive comes in the bundle as standard so its kinda like a freebie.

I maybe stay with 16GB but im sure 8GB of decent RAM is better then 16GB of crap RAM it actually does matter how good the RAM is.

Ive only been planning my PC for 2 days and the changes ive made have been good so if i just went yeah i get that, it would have been a mistake, see what i mean?

It would be hard to blame intel as were talking about two totally different platforms, the one thing they have in common is the cards that get put in them. That does not help you very much though.

The other thing about X58 in particular is that it has been around for years so the onus is on AMD to make sure their modern GPUs are compatable.

The reason I was thinking of the chipset is because it seems that it's related to the PCI-E bandwitdh being saturated causing the chipset to fall over. That's just what I've gathered reading around a bit the last hour or so.

@weehamish

The thing is, you ask all these questions here and if there is any problems when you order all this stuff from else where, you will ask here again.

I can see overclockers are a little more expensive at times but for peace of mind in the event of potential problems, I would stick with paying a little more. You have said yourself how great 5UB has been in sorting your RMA issues out. I read thread after thread of people having problems and the retailer refusing RMA or going bust and no possible chance of RMA.

Maybe I am wrong for being loyal but I do have peace of mind and that for me is worth a little extra.

Customer service at OCUK is one of the main reasons I buy my hardware from here.

Can't fault 5UB!

Ive said this many times too, and 5UB has given me a good quote, who said im not ordering from OCUK?

Ive been talking with 5UB the last few days trying to sort something out and its getting better on price ;)

Alls i said is £130 wasnt worth it, i can get private insurance cheaper then that lol.

Its a forum at the end of the day, i know its OCUK but not everyone buys from here and still uses it. Many of the regs and probs even you buy elsewhere when theres a good saving its foolish not too.

Back
Top Bottom