• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

how much better is the 7970 over the 670?

With that link you provided earlier and the fact that you have said you can get it cheaper makes me say you will not be getting it from here. If you are getting it from here, good stuff and as for everything in my rig except for the waterblocks on my 680s was bought from here and a couple of other systems that I have built for people was bought from here.

I know full well I can get some of the bits cheaper but as I said, peace of mind is worth if for me.

Ohhh and the water blocks didn't come from here because they didn't have any or would be getting any in the time frame I wanted.

@WeeHamish

The thing is, you ask all these questions here and if there is any problems when you order all this stuff from else where, you will ask here again.

I can see overclockers are a little more expensive at times but for peace of mind in the event of potential problems, I would stick with paying a little more. You have said yourself how great 5UB has been in sorting your RMA issues out. I read thread after thread of people having problems and the retailer refusing RMA or going bust and no possible chance of RMA.

Maybe I am wrong for being loyal but I do have peace of mind and that for me is worth a little extra.

My loyalty lies with my wallet, however based on my recent dealings with OCUK CS I would be slightly more inclined to buy from them even if their prices are a little higher.

I have the luxury of living fairly close (50miles) so I can collect my goods there and then and avoid delivery fees, and if there's an issue I can take the items back there and then too and sort it out in store.

That only goes so far though, a few £ and being able to pick up the parts, great, but what I'm looking at getting to finish my upgrades, I'll save £50+ going elsewhere, and that's too high a price for loyalty for me.

The reason I was thinking of the chipset is because it seems that it's related to the PCI-E bandwitdh being saturated causing the chipset to fall over.

I'll throw my tupence in.

6950>70 CrossFire on a 775, then a Z67 board done everything I wanted.

You could increase the CCC limits with reg files, you could add voltage to both cards easy enough, no problems.

Went to a Z77 Sabertooth and the CCC limits was a no go, adding voltage to the second gpu, again a no go.

It wasn't a bigie though as I made my own custom bios with RBE using stock clocks of 950/1500MHz on one bios and 1000/1550MHz on the other with a custom fan profile.

Some Z77's even reversed the unlocked shaders on the 6950's too.

Put my 7970 in and the 7970 CCC unlock reg files don't work.

Added a 7950 to the rig and found out Trixx/Gpu tweak will unlock the voltage on the DD, but not in the second slot, so I put it into the first slot with the 7970 into the second to find out that the 7970 unlocked voltage will not let you add volts.

Imo, something's not playing ball with AMD/Intel somewhere along the line, but as the AMD is going into an Intel MB, then it's up to AMD and possibly Asus etc to help and chip in too, to get it sorted.

From reading some of the ROG threads, AMD is going to lose some BIG spending customers if they don't get it sorted, quickly.

weehamish said:
I maybe stay with 16GB but im sure 8GB of decent RAM is better then 16GB of crap RAM it actually does matter how good the RAM is.
Back in 2009 when the AMD 790FX chipset was released, I did tests at various speeds/latency's, no difference hardly.
Graphics Card: GTX 295

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.6GHz (3.8Ghz = add extra 2 fps)
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
Ram: OCZ Blade Series 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000 Triple Channel (Tested at various timings using 2x2GB) / OCZ Platinum 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Dual Channel (SAME RESULTS)

Crysis 1600mhz 7-7-7-24 = 54.98 fps

Crysis 1333mhz 7-7-7-24 = 54.43 fps

Crysis 1333mhz 6-6-6-24 = 54.87 fps

Crysis 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 = 52.98 fps
Will find out in a day or two, will do some tests of 1600 9-9-9-24 vs 2400 11-13-13-30, I bet most games their will be no difference, with a couple of games better by 1-3fps using a Ivybridge CPU.

I thought that site was allowed as it uses everyones prices lol, ive seen a few people use it thats why i used it.

I havent used any company direct only that pricechecker thing. I got a warning for it too.
Ive seen it in like 4 threads in the system section lol

Yes thats bits and bobs OCUK has provided a quote similar with building and 2 years collect and return so i will use OCUK but i need bring it down a little bit first if they will.

£50 on a full pc is fine but over £100 is silly not to go elsewhere.

£50 on parts is pretty big.

Btw thats in games, RAM is not just for gaming :) Its how fast the overall PC reacts, theres a few benches ive been reading and the 16GB actually was slower then some of the 8GB setups, i would prefer 16GB medium range if i can.

Last edited:
I am lazy and if I have any probs with a computer component, I can look in my order history and see how much warranty is left. I also have a shocking memory and if I bought from else where, I would have forgotten where I got it from...

For example, I bought a fridge about 16 months ago and about 2 months ago, it packed up. I spent a good few hours going through currys/comet/argos etc etc and couldn't find where I bought it from. I gave up in the end trying to find the receipt and looking online, I just bought another. If I stuck to the same shop, it would have at least helped my memory :D

As I said, I am probably daft for remaining loyal and only once have I ever asked for a price match (which got turned down), I shouldn't remain so loyal...Just lazy I guess.

I thought that site was allowed as it uses everyones prices lol, ive seen a few people use it thats why i used it.

I havent used any company direct only that pricechecker thing. I got a warning for it too.
Ive seen it in like 4 threads in the system section lol

Yes thats bits and bobs OCUK has provided a quote similar with building and 2 years collect and return so i will use OCUK but i need bring it down a little bit first if they will.

£50 on a full pc is fine but over £100 is silly not to go elsewhere.

£50 on parts is pretty big.

Btw thats in games, RAM is not just for gaming :) Its how fast the overall PC reacts, theres a few benches ive been reading and the 16GB actually was slower then some of the 8GB setups, i would prefer 16GB medium range if i can.

Just build it yourself, it's not hard, it really really isn't hard.

Lego sets or model kits are more "difficult" or "technical" than building a computer.

The return to base warranty is largely irrelevant, and I'd even say it could be an inconvenience. Something goes wrong, whole thing has to go back. All computer parts have a default warranty that retailers legally have to abide by anyway.

If my RAM or graphics card was playing up, I'd much prefer to just return that for a replacement rather than the whole system and then be without until it's back.

Some one's already mentioned that they'll help you assemble it, what area do you live in? I'd be happy to help you myself if you lived locally, as I'm sure others would be, because it really is a simple process. You'll kick yourself if you spend over £100 on some one building a PC for you to realise just how easy it is.

Just build it yourself, it's not hard, it really really isn't hard.

Lego sets or model kits are more "difficult" or "technical" than building a computer.

The return to base warranty is largely irrelevant, and I'd even say it could be an inconvenience. Something goes wrong, whole thing has to go back. All computer parts have a default warranty that retailers legally have to abide by anyway.

If my RAM or graphics card was playing up, I'd much prefer to just return that for a replacement rather than the whole system and then be without until it's back.

Some one's already mentioned that they'll help you assemble it, what area do you live in? I'd be happy to help you myself if you lived locally, as I'm sure others would be, because it really is a simple process. You'll kick yourself if you spend over £100 on some one building a PC for you to realise just how easy it is.

+1

If I can do it, then anyone can :D

I know how to assemble it, i contract for HP setting up PCs lol. Ive built PCs since my second PC, i remember installing the Tuniq tower in my crappy small case LOL, man that was huge, they even bigger these days!

Im not too good on overclocking as i never do that but ive overclocked this Q9450 to a stable 3.5 and it seems ok.

I just prefer it to be built and all under 1 tag so its easier, i guess im lazy too like you greg.

OCUK have knocked the £130 on the head i no longer pay that the issue is its still above the price i want by like £100+, and thats with the 7950 instead of the 7970!

Also wtf is up with steam it keeps going down?

Last edited:
You contract for HP? That just makes me feel sad now. You come across as so clueless.

Maybe that's why HP computers aren't too great? :D

Overclocking is easy, everyone's gotta start somewhere. I'm rather familiar with overclocking, but because I've got relatively old hardware (socket 775, Q6600 currently) I will have to learn the "ins and outs" of overclocking newer hardware (i7s for example) when I upgrade.

image.jpg

I think its maybe because im a geordie? In person youd think different, i just type like i text i suppose, im not formal at all online :P

Nah im not clueless i can OC but not as good as the shops.

Yeah i wouldnt buy HP stuff tbh lol.

Its used everywhere by the government though, maybe this is why the country is in such a mess?

Lol whos mal ffs? Thats all you 2 say mal?

Back
Top Bottom