• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much coil whine is too much coil whine?

Associate
Mine had a similar level of whine including the whining while scrolling, the shop agreed it was loud enough to get it replaced... but I ended up keeping it because the wait for a replacement would have been multiple months. Is it new? What PSU do you have?

The high framrate (low graphics) 3D Mark Night Raid benchmark produced the loudest noise on mine, running that overnight to burn it in eliminated the whine while scrolling. I'd given up fixing it but recently replaced my PSU (RM750 -> RM850x) and surprisingly that eliminated the GPU whine completely even though it was coming directly from the GPU not the PSU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine had a similar level of whine including the whining while scrolling, the shop agreed it was loud enough to get it replaced... but I ended up keeping it because the wait for a replacement would have been multiple months. Is it new? What PSU do you have?

The high framrate (low graphics) 3D Mark Night Raid benchmark produced the loudest noise on mine, running that overnight to burn it in eliminated the whine while scrolling. I'd given up fixing it but recently replaced my PSU (RM750 -> RM850x) and surprisingly that eliminated the GPU whine completely even though it was coming directly from the GPU not the PSU.

Interesting the new psu got shot of whine.

Soldato
My first 3080fe was worse the replacement which I got within 4-5 days also has it but not as bad and with undervolting and with fans kicking in I cant hear it , I did think about what if went with water cooling later the whine would be more pronounced, have you got it under water ? someone else posted about whine going away once added water block

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/3080-undervolting.18936805/page-10

Soldato

RTX 3080 FE at stock. It screams in all games. It even whines when I am scrolling through a webpage.

Pretty common, why my pc has been several feet away for the past 3-4years. If its whining at desktop i'd probably replace it. But otherwise not much you can do. Another replacement card will have the same or worse. Went through like 10 2080Ti's at one point all the same.

More so noticeable under water because you dont have the shroud and typically loud-er fans to dampen the whine of the card.

Caporegime
Like PaulM has suggested I would make absolutely sure it's the GPU first, I've seen cases where increases in power load cause the PSU to scream. If your previous GPU wasn't as power hungry it might be a factor.

Associate
Like PaulM has suggested I would make absolutely sure it's the GPU first, I've seen cases where increases in power load cause the PSU to scream. If your previous GPU wasn't as power hungry it might be a factor.
if its doing it while scrolling through the web thats hardly killing the psu with power draw

Caporegime
if its doing it while scrolling through the web thats hardly killing the psu with power draw

Smooth scrolling is actually GPU accelerated I think and will cause spikes in power draw. All I'm saying is I would rule out PSU first because if it's that to blame then RMA replacements will be no different.

Soldato
Any amount, because it doesn't have to be there. I remember reading a post on here from someone who'd bought a bunch of 3090s for work and they said some of them absolutely screamed, whilst others were silent. I've also experienced one sample of a card having it and one not several times. It shouldn't be acceptable and should be considered a manufacturing defect, but that would hurt bottom lines, so the end user gets to suck it.

Soldato
OP

Completely different 3080FE, this one aircooled.

Still got the buzz but I reckon it is slightly quieter. Will try this card in a different system to see if it buzzes there too.

Unfortunately the watercooled card is in a PITA system to work with. I can't change the PSU without draining the loop. I am switching to a completely different case soon so can test things once that is done.

Soldato
I've realised I have no coil whine on my 3080 Fe.

It's actually the exhaust fan. It has a slight unexpected noise, it's not scrapping anything, but I think it's the air pushing against the fins.

Associate
I've realised I have no coil whine on my 3080 Fe.

It's actually the exhaust fan. It has a slight unexpected noise, it's not scrapping anything, but I think it's the air pushing against the fins.
So if you stop the fan with your finger briefly the noise goes away?

Caporegime

Completely different 3080FE, this one aircooled.

Still got the buzz but I reckon it is slightly quieter. Will try this card in a different system to see if it buzzes there too.

Unfortunately the watercooled card is in a PITA system to work with. I can't change the PSU without draining the loop. I am switching to a completely different case soon so can test things once that is done.
Note to self, never buy a GPU from Disco. :p

Well, at least it's better than the first one. :)

Back
Top Bottom