How much did it cost you get married?

Soldato
I agree. We had also been together for 8 years before getting married. Our wedding was for us and not other people. Simple. No fuss. But with an amazing holiday and no debt at the end of it to stress us out. If I were ever to get married again in the future and the woman expected a lavish wedding then I would know it wasn't the right woman. We probably did do it a bit too cheap in retrospect but I prefer that to making the mistake of spending too much.

You make it sound like if you spend a lot of money on the wedding it must be about other people :confused:

We spent a fair amount but it was completely about us. It was about sharing a very special day with lots of close friends and family and nothing at all about showing off.

Soldato
This "wedding is for us so we didnt invite anyone" is garbage. Just admit you were tight/hate your family/couldnt afford it. :D

lol or they just don't like sharing their happiness, I've never got this 'why should I pay for all these people to have a party attitude?' if you invite the people you love then they are their to celebrate your relationship and share in a day that is all about you, sharing is fun and being surrounded by the people you love and care about is great.

Most people in this thread would say we spent far to much and maybe we did but we had an absolutely fantastic day with all our Friends and family around us celebrating and then went on the trip of a lifetime to South America would I spend less if we did it again not a chance I'd probably spend more!

Caporegime
Never seen the point in expensive lavish weddings where everything has to be absolutely perfect. I'd be quite happy with a very small event with close friends and a few members of family, zero stress, and just enjoying ourselves and having fun. :)

Soldato
I think marriage is outdated and pointless in general

Unfortunately it's part of the female patriarchy milestones. It seems a lot of women rate themselves with specifics like attractive partner, marriage, kids, etc - showing their position in life as a status symbol along with material objects to back that up (read expensive things). Add to that the senior patriarchs then go overboard on the big show to reinforce that (big wedding etc).

I think the male psyche is much more aligned in spending along the line where they can make more (or what they're interested in).

Soldato
We got married a few weeks back (Raymond shot it- http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28050625&postcount=93)

We spent about £14K all in - insane costs but it was a great day.
£5k on venue and food, then things like band, clothing etc...all adds up super quick!
You can do it much cheaper but you will have to sacrifice a lot of things for sure.

All depends what you want out of it I guess.

Soldato
We're getting married in a couple of weeks' time and budgeted £16k all-in including honeymoon, and we're just about sneaking in on budget. We'd been together for 11 years and had a two year engagement to plan and pay for everything so pretty much managed it from normal income rather than dip into savings. We certainly saved less over that time but we're lucky enough that it hasn't really felt like it has cost as much as it has.

Looking forward to Raymond shooting ours too :)

Associate
Spend what you can afford, too many in this country blow their life savings under the pretence of having more money than they do.

25k for a wedding is fine if you have 100k+ in the bank, unfortunately I've known people to get into debt for a wedding.

Back
Top Bottom