How much do you rely on mobile devices?

Soldato
I was just having a good ol' ponder about how many different things are going wireless at the moment; such as things through bluetooth like keyboards and mice and all that, anyways I'd love to see some proper bluetooth earphones, point me in the direction of some cheap bluetooth earphones and i'll be sorted :cool:. Yeh so mobile stuff such as phones, laptops, wireless internet capable things like pda's, they're all huge parts in our lives and they're going to get bigger so:

What are your most used mobile devices? How have they changed you and your work? What would you do if they all just disappeared tomorrow?
ict cswk research in bad disguise

Suspended
my mobile phone is the most used, and its very annoying when I have to give it in for repair everytime it messes up, but thats why I have a collection of them, so I can choose which one to use. second would be my mp3 player, and third would be my laptop, especially now I have a digital tv tuner for it its used a lot more

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
My mobile phone is also my mp3 player and my camera so I'd certainly miss it for those factors.
It's handy for other things but I could probably survive without it. Survived before anyway ;)

Only thing is I'd be out of a job if there were no mobile phones so I'd see them as essential then :p

Man of Honour
Not much at all really. Don't use wireless internet, mouse/kb is cabled, don't have a laptop, don't have any bluetooth devices (except my phone, which is disabled), and I have my cellphone because I'm expected to - could easily live without it.

Soldato
Only have mobile and wireless net access, could cable it but would take hours. I'd love to ditch my mobile though hate having to carry it about with me no matter how small it is. Seriously I don't want to be "available" to anyone 24/7 !

Associate
Kami said:
Only have mobile and wireless net access, could cable it but would take hours. I'd love to ditch my mobile though hate having to carry it about with me no matter how small it is. Seriously I don't want to be "available" to anyone 24/7 !

the reason why i dont carry a mobile

Hitman
Permabanned
I could easily live without a wireless keyboard/mouse. I would use my mobile less if other people didn't use theirs - it's mainly a cost issue to be honest.

Soldato
I'd be buggered without my SmartPhone as I'm crap at remembering when I've got things arranged for so it wasn't uncommon for me to agree to be in 3 places at once.

It also helps a lot with work, no farting about with bits of paper with flight, car and hotel reservation numbers.

Edit: I forgot to say that I spend an awful lot of time away from home, so the Smartphone is the only real way I can stay in touch with people as it does phone calls and email.

The iPod gets a lot of use too, there are only so many times you can read the same Airline magazine in the same month.

Last edited:
Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Haly said:
My mobile phone is also my mp3 player and my camera so I'd certainly miss it for those factors.

I am the same, the fact that a call can cut into my music on my phone I think is great. Anything for an easy life!

Lost the pc - phone cable though, need a bluetooth dongle now. Sigh.

BB x

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I use wireless net in my house, but not much as i find it slow and rubbish compared with wired ethernet, and i have a basic mobile. Thats about it.

Wouldnt miss wireless lans, but would miss the convinience of a mobile. Wouldnt be too hard to live without though.

Soldato
Freefaller said:
It's more for convenience. I could live without it - it just makes life a little easier. Well until it stops working that is...

Pretty much sums it up for me.

As for my mobile, I use it when I actually need to (ie where there is no landline).

Soldato
The only things mobile in our house are the cats and our cordless phone. Nothing else.

And I like it that way.

Although saying that, would really like to have a cell phone during the winter. Getting stranded 10 miles from the nearest source of light in -40 degrees with a 35mph wind and heavy snow falling isn't very comforting. Hasn't happened to me yet, but knowing the (old) vehicles I drive, probably not a good idea to be cavorting around without some form of communication......

Soldato
I use my mobile phone a fair bit, seeing as I don't have a land line. My main pc is a laptop which I use with wifi at home but wired here at uni.
I like wired things, they work better, I suppose wireless things are convenient though.

Back
Top Bottom