1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: How much do you think sick pay should be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pawnless Endgame, Nov 21, 2019.

?

How much do you think sick pay should be?

1. No pay

12 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Statutory sick pay

16 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Half pay

27 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Full pay

138 vote(s)
    67.6%
  5. Other (specify)

11 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

Full pay with bonus incentive for not taking any sick for the year. I am entitled to 13 weeks a year. I have taken a handful of days off in the past ten years.

2. sideways14a

Wise Guy

Yes this is a problem and something i think should be sorted out by the government.
    I have a mate who was off for months a few years back with a serious problem, he got very very little help from his work (car garage) and not a lot of help when he returned.
    Meanwhile i have been off for slightly more than half this year with the big C (now gone!) and got full pay for most of it and plenty of time on phased return.

Its not really fair for people who dont have such a good employer, however i could also see that paying for this is a lot to ask smaller employers.
    As for those taking the piddle, managers need to be more proactive and less red tape needs to be in place to catch the 'tards out.

3. gary996

Mobster

Im self employed. No work no pay.
    This is what it should be for everyone, then you dont get people not going to work cause they had a couple of drinks the night before.
    Jusy lazy buggers

4. sideways14a

Wise Guy

What about people that have had legit issues?

5. Puzzled

Soldato

Assuming you are self employed by choice then you should be earning enough to counter the loss of employee benefits to make it worthwhile.

People will always take the mick whatever system is in place but companies lose more money through recruitment costs and poor productivity by having draconian measures that impact everyone. The ones playing the system can be dealt with through proper management, for the supermarket I worked in they allowed staff to swap shifts which meant students could do what students will always do, they just had to plan ahead (saying that its not like heavy drinking is restricted to students I'm sure plenty of people have phoned in after having a few too many or worse come in to work half cut).

I always find it odd that the reaction from people is almost always that they if they have a raw deal then so should everyone else rather than fighting for the same benefits others get, just ends up being a race to the bottom.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  6. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

Screw those guys. God forbid they also have to sponge off the government as well! They should die in a pit. Maybe we should just preempt this and terminate their continued existence so they can't plague our society with their ludicrous medical demands.

7. morbid42

Gangster

So if im paid £100 a day, add £500 a day value to the company, go out for lunch and get impaled by a rogue umbrella in the wind, resulting in 2 weeks off wearing a nappy, my employer should say tough tatties? Thats a 1930's employer whos going to get a returning member of staff adding -£500 a day.

I had an ex employer who allowed me 2 days off for a family death, 1\2 pay, while other employees got 2 weeks off fully paid. Needless to say all work output stopped for 5 months incurring alot of additional costs while i sat on my ar$e studying, followed by a consultant being hired for 6 weeks, on 1600 a week, to cover me and train new person. Treat employees fairly or face the consequences. People get sick / have emergencies.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  8. chaparral

Capodecina

Benefit handouts are sometimes so wrong

Got a family member that will be getting about £900 per week on benefit as she has 4 kids and she only ever worked a few months in her whole life

9. Werewolf

Commissario

Are you sure it's £900 a week?
    That sounds extremely high* unless most of that is in housing benefit, and even that would be at the high end from what I understand.

*Given JSA is what £100 a week, even ESA in the support group is only about £130, whilst PIP at the top rate is ~£120, with child benefit at about £20 then £12 for additional children.

10. johnny6

Wise Guy

So someone who gets a life changing illness such as cancer should know their place and just go die in a ditch already.

11. EVH

Don

I’ve worked in multiple companies that pay full pay for 6 months. Not surprisingly it is abused and you see the pattern of people returning shortly after the full pay drops :p

12. McBain

Capodecina

Full but based on instances.

13. chaparral

Capodecina

It in guernsey....

They increased the max from £750 to £850 and she also meant to get about £50 extra on top classed as family allowance
    https://guernseypress.com/news/2019/11/04/islanders-can-earn-more-on-benefits-than-in-jobs/

14. dowie

Caporegime

I do wonder if that is better covered by employees taking out insurance. I mean I'm all for full sick pay for a few weeks to cover most general sickness and various acute incidents, once you get to the catastrophic, life changing stuff though then there becomes a question of whether it is even feasible for that person to carry on. Obviously if they can then that's great but having a blanket policy allowing up to 6 months off sick does seem to lead to (likely/suspected) abuse as noted by a few posters. If the onus is on the individual to take out insurance for the tail end stuff - something that perhaps someone with a family/mortgage often do, then that covers the unlikely extreme events - catastrophic accidents, sudden debilitating illness etc.. but is perhaps much less easy to abuse with some general stress claim via a GP letter etc... An insurance company will be quite happy to question such a claim.

15. SPG

Soldato

Your choice to be self employed, your own bad managment of not having suitble cover in finance or staff to cover for illness.

I guess holidays should be unpaid as well....

16. Allnamestaken

Mobster

lol this just seems like a good way to make your employees hate you.

17. Efour

Caporegime

5 days full pay then Dr note and 75% slides to 50% after another 3 months.

Longer and it's case by case and wtf is wrong with you stuff?

18. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

I think he runs his own business so we're not talking large corporation expectations and I'm not sure his points are entirely unreasonable. They're ... lean but clear.

19. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

When I am King, you will be Royal Advisor For Health & Benefits.

20. Puzzled

Soldato

I want to know what fantasy land he Iives in where you can get a doctors note for a 2 day sickness, would be lucky to see a gp within 2 - 3 weeks here.