How much does your car cost you overall?

Caporegime
I looked at that option but with the higher standing daily charge and ‘on-peak’ rate meant that with the overall household electricity factored into the bills the savings weren’t enough to go for it.
I would save a few pounds to charge EV during the night once a week, but then spend more pounds on daily/weekly usage.

I still dont get that. The go tariff is 11p per kwh cheaper at night and 1p per kwh cheaper than your day rate (maybe even more if going back a few months)

daily standing charge is within pence of the big 6

SO you would have being saving 24/7 and cutting your car charging cost by two thirds.

Soldato
In theory I'm running a profit with my car at the moment. Has appreciated by £5000 from new, minus £2500 petrol, £900 insurance, £450 tax, £900 servicing. So I've earned 1.6p per mile over 15000 miles.

Of course I've undermined all of that by bolting thousands of pounds of accessories to it, but still!

Soldato
I spent far too much effort last time with screen grabs of my energy use etc for the discussion only to get radio silence. So I guess this will head the same way in terms of acknowledgment. I got told
I had to be doing 400 miles a day or something to counteract that MASSIVE 25p standing charge :cry::cry::cry: “apparently”

no skin off my nose. Less people using it the better (unless it’s using my referral) the Octopus boss is the only face I’ve seen on the news during recent reports and consistently references how they bought energy well in advance. I have no immediate concerns unlike the small companies operating a hand to mouth model.

Caporegime
loads of people's ppm are going to be screwed at the moment with the stupid used prices and lots of people finding themselves in negative deprection.

In normal times depreciation is more often the biggest factor in cost per mile, more so than mpg.

Soldato
I spent far too much effort last time with screen grabs of my energy use etc for the discussion only to get radio silence. So I guess this will head the same way in terms of acknowledgment. I got told
I had to be doing 400 miles a day or something to counteract that MASSIVE 25p standing charge :cry::cry::cry: “apparently”

no skin off my nose. Less people using it the better (unless it’s using my referral) the Octopus boss is the only face I’ve seen on the news during recent reports and consistently references how they bought energy well in advance. I have no immediate concerns unlike the small companies operating a hand to mouth model.

My issue with Octopus is that they are not as green as they say they are (or that the government allows them to say they are). There are only three properly green providers, and Octopus is not one of them.

Soldato
Had a 2006 mk 3 clio since about 2012 and it has never broken done once and still passes its mot with flying colors. Biggest bills are road tax which has creeped up every year from 135 when i bought it, to about 215. Its a 1.4 for god sake, the tax should be sub 100

Soldato
My issue with Octopus is that they are not as green as they say they are (or that the government allows them to say they are). There are only three properly green providers, and Octopus is not one of them.

Personally i think that's the failing of the wholesale market, government investment in nuclear / renewable rather than the suppliers who simply purchase it. But i recognise the sentiment.

Could always try the ripple company and a small investment in a wind turbine to cover household use and export excess to the grid - clearly you won't be using the exact electrons mind.

Soldato
Insight bought at £5k in 2009 seems quite cheap interms of TOC even £0 value would be £415 a year

Insurance ~£220
£0 VED
Fuel for the period I logged 188,748 miles to 273,045 is a real world 66MPG with a 8.3pence per mile fuel cost.
14,000 miles = £1160 fuel
Limited repairs and servicing its done the cheap commuter job very well!
Oil changes are only 2.5L aswell.

Caporegime

2 now? if you included green.

Soldato
OP
I've been considering ditching my car. WBAC will give me £8k for it. The weekly shop will be a few quid, say £150 a year. Train trip to Edinburgh is £50 several times a year. Say £200 total. Car hire (say once a year for a week or two) is outrageous - £100 or more per day - and taxi costs so I think the cost will actually be close therefore the question is how much I value the flexibility and freedom a car gives me.

Soldato
Interesting thread will be interesting!

My M5 cost me 27p/mi in fuel. When you add in insurance, tax, warranty, tyres and appreciation(!) that comes to 54p/mi over 6574 miles.

£1.30 a mile seems stratospheric for running a Yeti. My M3 cost me around that over 14,000 miles and I had a £10,000 engine bill in that time!
my old E92 M3 cost me a shed load to run, a shocking 15mpg on a pleasant drive around north wales (well, erm, quite a fast one or two). Latest 530d Touring pretty good although £470 tax stings a bit, previous 535d was only £150. Anyway my days of fast cars are now gone due to graphics cards costing so much. It's @Gibbo 's fault ;)

Soldato
It will be £s per mile, and not sure it will start with a 1... Last time I drove was 11 days ago. I've done 2 journeys since June which really needed a car. I'd be well up for a more casual rental scheme (Zipp car etc) if it was available.

Back
Top Bottom