How much electricity do you use?? (Am I mad)

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Hi all,

I spend about £3100 a year on electricity / £233 p/m and so with the rising prices I'm keen to look at options for saving money here. I'm conscious prices are all over the place at the moment, so kWh are probably more meaningful to compare - I use 15100kwh per year.

When I look at sites that state the 'average' kWh per household, they always seem to be much, much lower. It's a five bedroom house with two kids.

So question is how many kWh per year do you guys use and is there any smart sites to help me estimate how much appliances use. I do have a fair few PCs, but that's Overclockers fault and indeed you guys...... ;)

Soldato
Could you not have read the thread directly below this one....

Saving electricity is not rocket science is it? Turns things off, use things less, buy more energy efficient products....

Soldato
Well with enough data points you could get an idea but I'm at the opposite end being single in a 2 bed terrace. 4537 kwh/yr which includes 10K miles of EV charging. Like I said total opposite case.

Soldato
We're in a fairly big 4/5 bed detached house, 2 adults and 1 toddler. By a quick glance at the smart meter we look to use about 200~kwh in the peak of summer and around 360kwh in the depths of winter. So a rough average of say 3600kwh per year.

That's with dishwasher on almost every day, same for the washing machine and tumble, oven on at least once a day.

Have a look here https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/energy-cost-calculator.html for a rough idea, best bet is to get a power meter you plug in between the plug and your device and start going round everything in the house.

For example my old home server drew 130watts constant which was about £20 a month, i replaced it with a ultra slim desktop which takes 7watts which brings it down to £1 a month.

But to use 15,000kwh a year you must really be churning through it, i guess you have electric heating? We have gas for ours which might explain why we use so little compared to you in a similar size house.

Permabanned
4 bed house, 2 adults, 2 kids. electricity part of the direct debit is £150, between 7-9kwh per year I guess.

We have multiple PC's, working from home, TV's/other kit.......I would be checking whats using all that!

Soldato
That's a lot of leccy. I'm in a 4 bed house, 2 adults working from home and two kids with PCs and an electric car. Regular dishwasher, tumble dryer usage etc. We only used 9000kw last year.

I'm guessing you must be using electric for heating. So #1 would be - don't use electricity to heat your home.

Soldato
I use about £150 for electricity and gas per month on average, including having a Tesla as our primary vehicle. Our gas use is almost nothing except in winter. 2 Adults in 6 bed house detached house.

Associate
Hi all,

I spend about £3100 a year on electricity / £233 p/m and so with the rising prices I'm keen to look at options for saving money here. I'm conscious prices are all over the place at the moment, so kWh are probably more meaningful to compare - I use 15100kwh per year.

When I look at sites that state the 'average' kWh per household, they always seem to be much, much lower. It's a five bedroom house with two kids.

So question is how many kWh per year do you guys use and is there any smart sites to help me estimate how much appliances use. I do have a fair few PCs, but that's Overclockers fault and indeed you guys...... ;)
Is your hot water/heating on electricity or gas? Makes a very large difference ...

Soldato
My DD is set at £200 a month, 4 bed detached with basically 5 adults living in it (Children all over 16 now) Washing machine, dish washer, tumble drier, an EV a couple of times a week etc etc. In the winter we are actually using 220-230 but in the summer down to about 160 so DD works out.

Man of Honour
Got to be some form of electric heating (actual wall heaters or immersion) or a fault with your meter. Anything else you'd be actively using/have set up so you'd know about. There's no way you consume that much by building up lots of little devices.

Back
Top Bottom