How much house can you get?

Soldato
OK, I know most of you are in the UK, but even the UK is diverse in how much house you can get for your money.

So

The Average UK house price is £235k as of November 2019 according to https://landregistry.data.gov.uk/app/ukhpi

So, How much house does £235k get you in the town / county you currently live?

Well, i'm in Rodney, a county north of Auckland NZ, but still classed as Auckland, I am about 45 miles from the city, and £235k will NOT get me a property, i can get some land and that's about it! In fact, the cheapest freehold property in Rodney is a 40sqm 1 bed cottage for $539k (about £270k).

49465947331_ef2ab46304_b_d.jpg

https://www.trademe.co.nz/property/...tm?rsqid=1bbaa7dfb1ce42c5877df58e9ecc264d-007

So, show us what you can get where you live for the average UK home price of £235k?

Soldato
You may get a flat but on the outskirts and probably not the most desirable of places.

£350K on the outskirts of London (zone 6) got me and my fiancee a 3 bed semi-detached house with a decent garden.

Last edited:
Caporegime
5ida1kRm.jpg
I'm between Cardiff and Newport.
Just bought a house for A bit more than that.

Here that will get you a 3 bed detached nice house and garden or a 4 bed detached with a little garden. In a less desirable street .

(only know about detached as that was a criteria)

Best I could find

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends, if you go to the less desirable south nearer the m4 you can get a 4 bed detached with ok garden size, if you go north towards llandeilo you csnt afford bugger all as all the old people have moved in a brought all the houses.

Soldato
I like this thread. This is a house for £240k in a nice area, twenty minutes or so on the train to central Glasgow but a nice town centre in itself, right next to the countryside, good schools, etc etc. Infact, I'm after a 2 bedroom house for under £250k. Maybe I'll buy this!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-87387713.html
jDL628Z.png

You can get a nice, period, flat in one of the best regarded area in Glasgow for £240k. My flat, which is 15 minute walk to the central square cost me £91k for 2 bedroom, huge kitchen and large living room. Glasgow is incredibly affordable. Though there was a machete attack outside a few months ago which disturbed me watching University Challenge.

I'm not sure how to use that site. I couldn't see anywhere that would let me enter a cash amount like £235k?

For reference though: Stafford. Just down the road from OcUK. My house is 5M x 4M downstairs, same again upstairs + loft and that's £70k. Downstairs is a open-plan kitchen/diner/lounge. Upstairs is a large bedroom, small bathroom, airing cupboard + landing. My back garden is approx. 5M (same length as the house) x 7M, so longer than my house is wide.

Man of Honour
I live in Stoke on Trent. You could get a lot of house for £235K around here. e.g. a 5 bedroom detached bungalow with a two car garage and it's own car park for at least 4 more cars and a large garden and and office/study and a cloakroom in addition to the usual rooms you'd expect and those 5 bedrooms. And all of that in a nice part of the city, not the usual SOT dump area. On a quick look at Zoopla, I simply couldn't find any property in central SOT that was as expensive as that. You could buy at least 3 houses on my street for £235K and that's a relatively nice area for SOT. In a bad area, you can still get a large 3 bedroom house for £50K. Not that you'd want to.

SOT is a hole, but it's a very cheap hole.

Caporegime
Not much round here. Literally every house (in the entire county) is owned by some fly-by-night London landlord. And they beat us for an hour solid before letting us come in. With a horse whip.

I'm not even joking.

Soldato
What's the point of this thread? The whole location, location, location thing is so obvious it's boring.

Oh look you can't get a flat in London but you can get a 5 bed detached in the outer Hebrides. Shocker.

Back
Top Bottom