How much is your water bill?

Soldato
£150pa under Thames Water rates, for 2 adults and 2 dogs, water supply only on a 3-bed rural semi.
Cess Pit costs another £75 a month, as we don't have sewers (or gas, or decent internet) out here in the sticks.

It falls from the sky and I still have to pay £30 a quarter.
But not every time you want, in the quantity you require...

Yep its an antiquated view for most that water rates work out cheaper
It depends greatly on individual circumstances and usage. Our supply is definitely cheaper under Rates.

but once the meter is installed there is no going back. The water company will not remove the meter if requested.
Incorrect.
You have 12 months from the installation to make contact with the water company and initiate the switch back to Rates.
The company will not physically remove the meter, but you can go back to Rates if you prefer.

The only time this does not apply is when the Govt/EA has designated the area as Water-Stressed (which is actually much of East and South-East England), whereupon meters are compulsory and the companies have no choice in the matter.

You can also specify where the meter gets installed if you don't like where the company decides it should go, subject to it being physically possible, of course. You can also have it moved. You may be charged for both of these, unless you have special requirements and need it moving so you can read it, or they may install an Outreader to aid the convenience.

Caporegime
OP
ARISE YE OLDE DEAD THREAD!

Yesterday I finally pulled my finger out and had a bit of time to find my water meter and sort this once and for all. Still paying £65 a month for my wife and I, who are both full time employed and don't operate a water park at home. We did the old process of elimination thing and found our meter, which stands at 1197m³.

I phoned Thames and after waiting for 17 mins(!) I finally got to speak to someone and they told me that the meter reading they took in December was 1259m³.

I told them I've got a photo of the meter with the serial number and reading but they weren't interested, they have to send one of their guys out (fair enough, they want to make sure I haven't gyppo'd the meter).

So now we wait. Apparently reading a water meter is very difficult.

POB

POB

Soldato
I think it works out at £44 a month.

Just me in a two bed.

South West Water is expensive. That includes a £50 reduction from the government to help pay for the bathing waters.

Associate
£46 per month fixed - which is fantastic for us since I estimated how much it would actually cost us if we were metered and it came out to about £92 a month based on how much we shower and consume in the kitchen, garden etc

Back
Top Bottom