How much money do you spend on food a day?

Man of Honour
Wow some big spenders in here, always under £45 a week for 2 of us. Neither of us do the daily coffee or sandwich run, complete waste of money. We make a list before going to the supermarket and we waste next to nothing.

It sounds boring but people could clear their mortgages years early by giving up the daily Costa and the lunch meal 'deal'. My lunch costs less than half of a sandwich meal deal and no where near as calorific.

Well, that suits you, and it seems to work for you, so more power to your elbow, but not everyone sees it that way.
My attitude to life always was, if there’s a dollar bill to be earned, I’ll go out and earn it.
I always made sure that every household bill was covered, mortgage, car, gas, water, electric, insurances, after that anything goes.
You’re only here for seventy odd years, it’s not a rehearsal.
I’ve never sat around a pool, in Savannah GA, drinking mint juleps, and thought, “What am I doing? I could be on the prom in Skegness, eating chips from a newspaper, I must be nuts.”

Soldato
Probably around £90 a week on the Ocado delivery and then usually spend around £30 a week when either of us end up nipping to Morrison’s etc if we fancy something on a particular day that wasn’t planned.

That’s for 3 of us and covers teas and most dinners (our daughter gets dinner at college 3 times a week). I usually have leftovers for dinners but also have a stock of instant noodles at work or take a couple eggs to make an omelette if the previous nights tea doesn’t lend itself to leftovers (like salmon/steak)

Associate
2 person household.

I spend about £5-6/day on lunch at work. Sometimes bit more.

Wife spends about £15/ week on work lunch.

Weekly shop varies a lot. Usually between £70-£100/ week. This includes cleaning products etc. So probably £60 is on food (average).

So I guess roughly £105/ week £420/ month say. Sometimes we do go way above this though depending on what we are cooking etc.

Also eat at a restaurant or get take away approx. Once a week so add another £50-£100/week.

Soldato
family of 5 and i suppose being real about it we do around £150 - £170 a week with a takeaway on a friday

I really want to say its less but we always do £110 on shopping and half way through the week need a few bits, suprising how it adds up

Balls, i didn't include work, i do about £5 a day on a frozen gym meal and a few bits..

we eat well but dont eat fancy. I would say we bin around £5-10 a week sadly too

Soldato
What are you eating to spend that?

depending on the age of kids its surprising how much it all adds up

Above we do circa £110 a week on shops (family of 5)
i do £25 a week on lunch
we then do £20 a week on a takeawy
we do a mid week top up of say £30

my eldest is 13, and i have two young ones at 3. we dont eat post or fancy but it just adds up. We also dont always eat the branded stuff

I have seen the programs where people save fortunes a week but its not real world and really isnt sustainable.

Although i 100% realize if you froze everything and did things in a different way we could probably get that down to £100;

Associate
2 adults and a 5 year old and we spend on average £200 a month.

Typically a mix of mainly Tesco and top ups done when needed in Sainsburys, Waitrose and Aldi depending on where we are.

It's really easy to make great food for not a lot of money, but we're guilty of not doing that all the time as we're busy with work and life. But making a massive curry, chilli or bolognese and filling up the freezer with foil containers is great and not expensive at all. I made a lush Apple and Blueberry Crumble for pudding today and it probably cost about £2.50 to make and will last for 3 days and took no time to prepare this afternoon.

I work from home so no meal deals or coffee runs from me and my missus takes lunch to work with her. I'll usually have a omelette or scrambled eggs on toast. My guilty pleasure is coffee beans!

Soldato
depending on the age of kids its surprising how much it all adds up

Above we do circa £110 a week on shops (family of 5)
i do £25 a week on lunch
we then do £20 a week on a takeawy
we do a mid week top up of say £30

my eldest is 13, and i have two young ones at 3. we dont eat post or fancy but it just adds up. We also dont always eat the branded stuff

I have seen the programs where people save fortunes a week but its not real world and really isnt sustainable.

Although i 100% realize if you froze everything and did things in a different way we could probably get that down to £100;

I have 3 kids and a wife, we would struggle to do £600 per month and that's with my wife's family eating with us about 6 times per month. We eat well so am just a bit surprised that people can spend that much but I guess if you eat out regularly then it can add up.

Man of Honour
Supermarket 500ish

Lunches maybe 250ish

Dining out/takeout maybe 200ish

2 people per month

Add in business meals you can double to triple it....ish.

Soldato
£4-6 and I feel bad about it. Should make my own lunch but I can't drag myself out of bed early. :(

+1 to single person's loaf as well. The half loaves are pathetically small sizes per slice.

Soldato
My daily routine breaks down to 27p a day minimum.

Three packs of 4 Big Eat crusty rolls at ASDA at 70p each, whatever decent brand cheese is on offer for £2, either Cathedral City or Pilgrims Choice Vintage Cheddar. This lasts me 3 weeks until I buy it all again.

Back
Top Bottom