How much money do you spend on food a day?

Caporegime
Grand a month for a family of 4 minimum

same here

That must include a lot of alcohol in the shopping, things like cheese and also eating out, like spending £5 on breakfast and then £7-8 on lunch 5 days a week.

Otherwise £250 on a weekly weekly shop without the alcohol and cheese is a LOT of food, even if you shop in Waitrose.

Soldato
Does that include alcohol and eating out a lot?

My wife and I don’t really drink so it’s probally why our spending is much lower than most.

Caporegime
That must include a lot of alcohol in the shopping, things like cheese and also eating out, like spending £5 on breakfast and then £7-8 on lunch 5 days a week.

Otherwise £250 on a weekly weekly shop without the alcohol and cheese is a LOT of food, even if you shop in Waitrose.

It includes a few bottles of wine but that is seperate for the most part as our landlord are winemakers and we buy direct form them at discount.

We almost never eat out. I edited the above post to indicate this is average monthly supermarket shopping so includes nappies, shampoo, kitchen cleaner as and when needed, but the majority is just food.
Kids are expensive, my son eats as much as me, if not more

Soldato
I suppose it really depends on what you buy, a decent serlion and chips for 4 will likely be more than my entire weeks spend for myself.

If you are very active then you will simply need more.

Soldato
£80-£100 a week for myself, wife and 13 month old. That's not including alcohol and that's with us eating VERY well with a freshly cooked meal every night, butcher meat and fresh veg. Odd take away maybe once a fortnight but as I enjoy cooking id rather make it myself.

On top of that there will be maybe a bottle of wine a week for my wife for the weekend and a bottle of spirits/beers for me as the fancy takes depending on what we are doing.

Soldato
£300 a month for a family of 3 (daughter is only 2) so that's around £75 a week. That usually includes a takeaway once a month and maybe 1-2 coffees out and a breakfast out on a weekend.

Soldato
It includes a few bottles of wine but that is seperate for the most part as our landlord are winemakers and we buy direct form them at discount.

We almost never eat out. I edited the above post to indicate this is average monthly supermarket shopping so includes nappies, shampoo, kitchen cleaner as and when needed, but the majority is just food.
Kids are expensive, my son eats as much as me, if not more

I suppose shopping is also a lot more expensive for you that the UK though!

Soldato
For my Wife, myself and out 2 month old I think it'd average to about £80-90 for the weekly shop and then maybe £10-30 more depending on what happens in the week, that does include stuff like nappies, formula, cleaning products though.

We make our own lunches for work but i sometimes use the works canteen or if i'm out and about in the works van will stop at a cafe or get a meal deal but that's probably only once every couple of weeks.

Then it depends if we get a takeaway (maybe every 2 weeks) and if we stop and have coffee or a lunch when we're out and about on the weekend.

We do eat a lot of fresh fish which seems to cost quite a lot as my wife is a pescaterian so by default i pretty much am too and when i do occasionally have meat i tend to buy nice stuff.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure. But I recently decided to cut costs by no longer getting a coffee on the way to work (I just keep a jar at work now instead) and changed where I buy my fruit and sandwiches from a convenient M&S at Waterloo station to a less convenient Tesco's near my work. The two combined have just about halved my daily work food costs. It would obviously be even cheaper if I made sandwiches at home but I don't have much spare time in the evenings and none in the morning.

Permabanned
Quite a fair bit considering it's just for me. I buy true organic from our farmshop twice a week which usually consists of 1/2 pound of Turkey mince, 6 Chicken breast, 4 Turkey steaks and I'll usually get some fresh tuna steaks for the weekend. Combined with all the veg and Almond milk I go through, I'd estimate close to 60/70 a week.

Associate
I reckon we spend £900 per month on our Sainsbury's shop. 2 adults 2 teens. Includes all the cleaning etc.

No alcohol. We don't eat out or get takeaways very often. The Sainsbury's shop will therefore include all meals (and I work from home a lot). Also where we don't eat out I cook decent meals most weekends so that will include some good meat and lots of fruit and veg.

Soldato
We spend about £50-60 a week between the two of us and maybe a takeaway of about £15 at the weekend. We're pretty good at batching and prepping, all breakfasts and dinners for the week are made up on the Sunday and I never buy coffee or anything while I'm at work. We generally eat pretty well and cook everything from scratch.

Associate
My daily routine breaks down to 27p a day minimum.

Three packs of 4 Big Eat crusty rolls at ASDA at 70p each, whatever decent brand cheese is on offer for £2, either Cathedral City or Pilgrims Choice Vintage Cheddar. This lasts me 3 weeks until I buy it all again.

How does a pack of cheese last you 15 days? 1 thin slice per roll? What about butter or any other condiments or salad? Is that 12 rolls then? What about the other days? No drinks, dinner, breakfast?

Associate
I usually only spend about £30 a week in Aldi, I go to my parents for tea quite a bit and go out for meals with them. Also my mum makes food and freezes it for me.

Just about to go out for a full English, coffee and juice.

Not grown up, haha.

I do also buy the odd 4 pack of larger for consumption at home or a friends and drink when I go out.

Also I am on a diet. No good at exercising or eating overly healthy. So I am basically starving myself.

Back
Top Bottom