How much money do you spend on food a day?

Associate
We are about £1200 per month on groceries but that includes laundry, cleaning products, wine etc.

Family of 5.

Would like to cut it back but find it difficult to spend any less than that.

Soldato
My partner and I spend roughly £50 on the weekly shop on a Sunday, and then I pop to Morrison's most days and spend anything from £1-£2 on various bits and pieces.

So, roughly £8.50 a day, I guess, if averaged out.

Soldato
Family of four here and our shopping bill is around £900 a month. That also includes stuff like washing up powder, bathroom smellies etc etc

Initially we set a budget of around £80 a week, but it's very tight. However, when you check through the bank statements and actually add it up proerly it's surprising. When you start adding toilet roll, showergel, toothpaste, wash powder, bin bags it's expensive before you start on the food.

My daily spend is around £4 to £4.50 on lunch

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Grand a month for a family of 4 minimum
Including alcohol and everything else (cleaning, shaving, shampoos etc) we do about the same, but a family of 3. I have reviewed it all a few times and i struggle to see how, everything included, we could spend much less, unless we cut out all alcohol and really did start to economise on meals.

Associate
single and spend on actual 3 meals a day food about £55 for 28 days. then junk food (chocolate/biscuits/2L fizzy something) maybe £2 a week.

tend to have the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch. then tea is usually chicken + X.

Associate
single and spend on actual 3 meals a day food about £55 for 28 days. then junk food (chocolate/biscuits/2L fizzy something) maybe £2 a week.

tend to have the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch. then tea is usually chicken + X.

How on Earth is this possible? There is absolutely no way you can use decent ingredients or cook tasty food on that budget. I swear people just grossly underestimate what they actually spend.

£2.07/ day for 3 meals. 69p/ meal. No chance.
£2/ week on junk food? So 1 maybe 2 items (2l bottle of coke (on offer) + some custard creams??

Associate
How on Earth is this possible? There is absolutely no way you can use decent ingredients or cook tasty food on that budget. I swear people just grossly underestimate what they actually spend.

£2.07/ day for 3 meals. 69p/ meal. No chance.
£2/ week on junk food? So 1 maybe 2 items (2l bottle of coke (on offer) + some custard creams??

breakfast - make my own granola 1.9kg + cheap all-bran + cheap low fat yoghurt, comes to £16.50 (ish) for the 28 days

lunch - fried egg sandwich, eggs + bread for 6 days a week, for 28 days worth comes to £5.00 (ish)

tea - roast chicken for the week days £3.30 + veg &/or rice or salad. 28 days comes to £26/27 (ish) (might do a sausage/ meatball casserole sometimes, comes to same cost)

saturday tea - half a 14" supermarket fresh made counter pizza. 28 days worth comes to £7.00

sunday tea - roast @ parents. comes to £1/2 (i supply pudding :p)

food is fuel, i get what i need and i'm not a glutton, never hungry, not losing /gaining weight so...

i also don't buy the expensive brand stuff, something like yoghurt can go from what i spend, 45p per 500g pot (i buy 4), up to £2.x for the same amount (500g pot). with the pizzas, i could get through a full 14" no problem, have done in the past, but was absolutely stuffed, stopped doing it, felt better after eating and saved money. i also don't buy something i'm not going to eat and that will get left in the freezer for weeks/ months. i don't dawdle around the supermarket going up and down every aisle buying things i don't need to. i go in with a plan of what i need, get it and get out.

of course there may be up to £5 on things like butter, salt + pepper etc too but either way £55/60 is easily a manageable budget for a single person.

:)

Back
Top Bottom