How much money would change your life?

Man of Honour
Where/when the hell was that? I used to work in Lewisham for a little under ten years and never saw that.

Either 2002 or 2003 - it was there for a good year - used to pass it on our way to the big Tescos up near the station but where I thought it was doesn't look at all like I remember on Googlemaps.

Soldato
Have you ever played a single player game, used a cheat for loads of money and then not been as interested in the game any more as there was no challenge? What happens if you did that in real life?

Soldato
I have had this kind of thought a lot lately. The amount i would like to win is 750k, i would pay off my mortgage and buy the remainder of what i pay rent on (60%). That would leave about 510k, I would quit my job and get a part time job on a coffee shop and live a life of leisure.

Soldato
I remember when there used to be a board up in Lewisham (police or council I think) that had a count of the number of murders in the last week or month or something - it was never at zero. (I used to live in Grove Park for a bit).

I always found south London a bit odd in that respect in that you could have one street that was really nice and another really rough not 5 minutes apart but they might as well have existed in different universes - very rare for trouble from one area to spill into another and some really nice parts around there.

Stockwell and Lambeth used to be like that, probably still are. Two streets back from all the nice bistros/pubs/shops and it was crack dens/shooting galleries.

Caporegime
Have you ever played a single player game, used a cheat for loads of money and then not been as interested in the game any more as there was no challenge? What happens if you did that in real life?
I know it’s only a TV show, but that makes me think of the only fools episode where they become rich. Del says to Rodney that it’s not like he thought it would be. The dreaming and the chasing was the fun part. Now he’s got it all, he feels like he has no purpose.

I can actually see that tbh. Dreaming about what you could have is the fun part. Actually having it probably isn’t as fun as you think. As evidenced by the many stories of lottery winners whose lives have turned sour after winning.

Soldato

Yes - I remember playing GTA III and always using cheat codes, messing around for an hour and get bored.

It was only when I played it through without the cheats that I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Soldato
about £1,250,000 i reckon.

Buy my flat in London, buy a proper place (about 500k) in South Wales, a Model S for the trips in between and a 911 in Wales for the LOLs

Soldato

Life changing sums of money is purely subjective based upon an individual's own financial situation and what they view as 'life changing'.

Life changing for me, is not about removing ambition or challenge, its about providing a safety net of paying off my mortgages in their entirety. This would give me a fantastic platform to stretch out and perhaps take even more risk because I have a comfortable crash mat if it all goes wrong.

Life changing for me isnt about buying a ferrari, nice things dont fundamentally change my life, they are just a cherry on top.

However to have some element of financial freedom from necessities (a mortgage being one) does change things drastically.

Soldato
For me, changing my life would mean that I no longer have to work as a requirement to sustain myself and my partner, as such I'd probably do well with anything in excess of £1m.

I'd buy a £250k house and the remainder would be saved and invested. I don't think I couldn't work, though - so I'd at the very least have a part time job bringing in some money, and I'd finish my qualification that I'm working towards. The idea of opening up a coffee shop in my home town appeals, or something similar at least.

Soldato
£20m+ to never have to worry about money again but a more realistic figure of £500k would be great - £150k for the mortgage and £350k into the pension.

Pension - If I wanted to add 35 years (till I'm 100) of extra pension then £350k, which sounds huge, will only gives me an extra £10k at year which is nothing vs inflation. Pensions are going to seriously screw people over in the next 50 years as the amount vs inflation + people living longer is building to a perfect storm.

Caporegime
Pension - If I wanted to add 35 years (till I'm 100) of extra pension then £350k, which sounds huge, will only gives me an extra £10k at year which is nothing vs inflation. Pensions are going to seriously screw people over in the next 50 years as the amount vs inflation + people living longer is building to a perfect storm.

This is one of the most depressing factors now when thinking about future finances, it’s an absolute joke.

Caporegime
That is the most retarded scenario I've ever heard of.

You would spend 16 hours on a plane just for a coffee in one of the busiest cities in the world where it would likely take you 30 minutes standing in a queue to be served after waiting 2 hours in traffic from the airport then another 2 hours back.

What a complete waste. Fair enough if it was to watch a world heavyweight title or something but to do it for a coffee which would likely be crap anyway would be a waste of life.

You aren't going to get that day back you just spent 20+ hours travelling.

Millionaires don't need to queue, (who queues for 30 minutes for a coffee anyway?) flying first class or private doesn't need to be stressful/could be as relaxing as just chilling on the sofa at home for the evening, don't necessarily need to worry about traffic either if you use a helicopter. :p

Caporegime
Millionaires don't need to queue, (who queues for 30 minutes for a coffee anyway?) flying first class or private doesn't need to be stressful/could be as relaxing as just chilling on the sofa at home for the evening, don't necessarily need to worry about traffic either if you use a helicopter. :p

I'm pretty sure we have had 2 deaths by private helicopter / plane in the media last year. (both football related).

So good luck with that. There is no way I would use a helicopter regardless of how much I had in the bank. They aren't designed to float or land safely in the event something goes wrong. At least a plane can glide along.

Caporegime
I'm pretty sure we have had 2 deaths by private helicopter / plane in the media last year. (both football related).

So good luck with that. There is no way I would use a helicopter regardless of how much I had in the bank. They aren't designed to float or land safely in the event something goes wrong. At least a plane can glide along.

Erm Helicopters have more places to land than a plane, you can literally cut the engines in a helicopter and just let it drop down to the ground - the blades will still spin and slow the descent.

If you cut the engines of a plane you’d best find a big flat field or a clear stretch of road.

Soldato
Erm Helicopters have more places to land than a plane, you can literally cut the engines in a helicopter and just let it drop down to the ground - the blades will still spin and slow the descent.

If you cut the engines of a plane you’d best find a big flat field or a clear stretch of road.

Looooooool

Back
Top Bottom