How much rent should my brother pay?

Associate
I pay £100 a month. I have offered to pay more but parents said no as my sister was having money problems and was only paying 100. I do all the physical labour around the house (tudor farm house) so most weekends I'm out cutting and splitting wood cutting the field to help out as much as i can as my mum can't really do those sort of jobs.
I think unless they are putting that money towards a deposit or helping out a lot with other stuff they should give her around the £200-250 mark. Or he pays the same as you and the other half pays an extra 50%

Soldato
£3-400 is a standard amount for a room, I have no doubts they could afford to pay that. I moved out quite sharpish from my folks after I got my first proper job because it was going to be £250 there.

If your mother does not want it she could make their stay contingent on them saving for a mortgage to the tune of several hundred a month, say 5-600 a month goes into mortgage savings.

Associate
That is wrong! We paid £300 a month earning a lot less than that together and bought some of our food as we had our own kitchen. We all agreed on the amount together as well so that everyone was happy with the setting. I would have never been ok living there without paying them a fair "rent" even though they most likely didn't really need it.

They sound like right ***** in my opinion and are taking advantage of your mother.

Associate
Gotta agree with everyone else, £100 is a **** take, between them i'd be expecting 400-500. Which is fair but not "outside world harsh". That figure would be a nice stepping stone to when they move out so that its not so much of a shock.

You mum could just take the 400-500, use whats needed to cover the bills and save the rest to give back to them should they want to move out?

Associate
£100 is clearly a joke for two people, they will easily eat that much let alone utils and council tax.

It's a bit sad that they have not realised yet the trouble your mother is in at the moment, has it been fully explained to them? I can understand she wants them to be able to enjoy their youth frivolity but if the house is really at stake then they all need a wakup call IMO

Associate
Keep your nose out of it. For all you know, they're only paying as much as £100 a month because they insisted, and your mum refuses to take any more.

That could be true, she may want them to spend it and enjoy themselves. BUT if that could cost them all the house (which they are all relying on as roof over their heads, as well as an investment) then they all need to reconsider

Associate
Forgive me, but this situation does not seem overly complicated to me? I agree with most in here on two points:

1. It's none of your business (but read on)
2. Yes they should be paying more

I'm sure if your brother actually thought about it for a moment, and he probably has done, he'd realise that he's not pulling his weight within the family, and if he has any stones at all, that'll be gnawing at him. That said, everybody is different, he might not give two hoots about anybody else's situation, and might just want to make sure he gets as much money as he can.

Your Mum on the other hand, obviously wants you all around. This makes sense, any decent Mother often finds it difficult to comprehend their child leaving, especially if said child is young and even more so if they don't genuinely believe that said child would survive well by themselves financially (as you have indicated). If however your Mum needs the money, and she's really struggling currently, that makes this situation a completely different one (though it still makes it up to her what she wants to do).

You only really have three options, talk to your brother, talk to your Mum, or do nothing.

If you talk to your Brother, do it properly. If my elder Brother had come to me a few years back, and said "You need to pay more", I might have thought about it, but I'd probably just have thrown it aside and wondered why he thought he could tell me what to do. If however he'd come to me and said, "Listen, man to man, I think Mum needs help money-wise, and while I know you don't exactly have buckets to spare, I don't think you realise how much difference what little you do have to spare could make", then straight away I'd be thinking how horrible I'd been to take advantage of such a petty rental price in the first place, and would have changed things.

If you talk to your Mum, do it without your Brother present (obviously), and make sure you find out what she actually wants. At the end of the day, if she thinks a lower rent will keep them around longer (and she wants that), or that a lower rent will help them save more to move out quicker (and she wants that), then clearly she knows what she's doing. But you won't find that out unless you have a serious conversation, not a quick one over the counter where she tells you the bright side of the story without the truth.

Personally, I'd talk to your Mum first and see what she wants, if she wants him to pay more, and she's definitely not going to do anything about it, then talk to your Brother, but do it like his Brother, not his Dad.

Soldato
That could be true, she may want them to spend it and enjoy themselves. BUT if that could cost them all the house (which they are all relying on as roof over their heads, as well as an investment) then they all need to reconsider

Three words: enlightened self interest. If it comes to it, then the two tenants will realise the problem and push harder to pay more rent. Because if they don't, they risk losing the cushy deal they have going at the moment.

Even if they are the worst people ever and are consciously taking advantage, it would be in their own best interests to pay more rent in order to keep the house.

Soldato
£100 per month for 2 people is not a lot but it depends on what your, Mum wants and needs. £100 might cover what they consume.

Also if she told you to shut up about it, then maybe it's not declared that your brother or girlfriend or both live there and your digging at the situation is putting that at risk.

Associate
Taking the **** in my opinion.

I would say minimum they should give her is £200/month but should really give her £300-£400.

Soldato
It's actually quite unfortunate for your brother and his misses, when they eventually get a place of their own they won't know what's his them financially!

They are getting an easy ride, 50 per person per month, I'd love to have a rood over my head for that amount each month :p

Associate
£12.50 per person per week is nothing but I can't talk really as when I got my first decent job around 10 years ago I was taking home around £1800-2000 a month and I was only paying £120pm in rent.

My mum knew I was saving everything for a house deposit and I made sure that she wasn't out of pocket with me staying there and I bought other bits and bobs when needed as well as doing chores around the house.

So as long as the pair aren't as lazy as a mexican village and chip in by other means, it might not be that bad.

Soldato
Maybe I've just been brought up a bit different from some on here, but my dad always told me it was about mucking in and keeping the household running and everybody happy. You know like the house in Bread. money in the chicken each week. Although we've moved on since then a bit.

Half of this house will be theirs when my mums time comes, and it's going up in value. In the long run keeping this house safe is going to benefit them financially.

It sounds like your brother has been brought up a bit different too.

Your story doesn't add up, and you seem to keep making additions when questioned.

Is your mum actually at risk or losing the house, or was that just added for dramatic effect?

Back
Top Bottom