How much value do think this RS would lose in 2 years time

Soldato
Some odd opinions in here..

What you're missing is these are ltd numbers, probably still quite a target for thieves and then a bunch obviously will get written off on the road or used as track cars etc.

The value on all Focus RS models drops a little, then stabilises, then starts going up.

The challenge is the ones that are going up are the ones with basically no miles on. Personally I would love to get one and I can afford it but I do 25k a year and I'd kill it and make it worthless in no time :(

MK1s are now going for over £10k even with relatively high miles and to be honest few people really loved that car from what I can tell.

Basically you need to balance supply and demand, scarcity which will increase and then how much you're going to use it.

Caporegime
It’s just my personal opinion! Cars are a depreciating asset, buying used is great if you can “loan” yourself the money or otherwise the interest rate makes the interest payable crazy! Each to their own, live and let live!

My car lost £3k ? in 3 years. Not sure what kind of car you can lease for £83 a month, but I doubt I would like that segment of the lease market.

The trick is save enough and buy the whole thing in cash, then there is no interest.

Caporegime
Clearly not this new/current RS
People said the same of the later (S2) RS Turbo and the Sapphire Cosworth , I remember seeing a discounted RS 500 Sierra at White Brothers Taunton as they’d had no interest! Now,that’s all massively (ridiculously) on its head albeit a long time later, as I said earlier with an RS Ford especially you just have to wait a good length of time but it will eventually appreciate.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think a private sale value of £19/20k will be around the right ball park - with a trade of say £2.5k less

This is solely based on it following a similar type of curve as the newer type R and assuming the engine issues fade into obscurity

Soldato
Because unlike old RS's there not a limited run so be more for sale so will lower price compared to older models

You're basing that on what? I'm seeing something like 4-5k made for the UK?

I mean they're always limited?? If nothing else only by the people prepared to drop £30k plus on a focus!

Then as I said, you'll find a load get stolen and/or wrecked. Its the nature of the car.

Soldato
You're basing that on what? I'm seeing something like 4-5k made for the UK?

I mean they're always limited?? If nothing else only by the people prepared to drop £30k plus on a focus!

It depends if the limit is on the supply side or the demand side. Building less cars than the market demands is usually a guide to strong residuals.

Soldato
The mk2 will be the one that becomes collectable though. Looks better, sounds better, better engine. If your going to buy one, buy that one :D

Soldato
I think that to assume that every single car has the same depreciation curve would be ridiculous.

I'm just worried that some people of this thread are looking at 20-30 year old Ford RS's and Cosworths then assuming the latest generations will deliver similar residuals in the short term are in for a shock.

The reason some of the older models retain value so well is due to very few in good condition being still for sale. If you buy a Focus it's very unlikely to still be on the road and running 20 years from now unless you garage and never drive it!

In the short term expect ~£3k per year depreciation on a Mk3 Focus RS IMO. As much as I wish it were otherwise the reality is you should probably assume any car you buy is going to be literally worthless scrap metal after 10-15 years!

Last edited:
Soldato
What about when the warranty runs out ? as that RS most likely only has about 18months of the Ford warranty left on it...
As a lot of people did not pay the extra for the extended 5 year ford warranty :(

Then you buy the extended warranty once the current warranty period ends. Simples.

We’ve just extended the warranty on a TT. 1 year for £290 - it seems like a bargain to me considering the car has the dsg auto gearbox.

For me it’s worth having a warranty on a car, just for the peace of mind and means it’s unlikely you’ll get any ridiculously high bills.

Also a bit worried there going to start pushing the price of fuel right up soon to force people into electric cars and that would see the value of cars like this that are very heavy on fuel drop like a stone..

Also, what is this hogwash? Don’t let that put you off buying a car today. I can’t see it happening any time soon - certainly not a drastic change.

Back
Top Bottom