1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

How much WILL you pay for a graphics card?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by pp111, 14 Jul 2021.

1. Frenzy

Soldato

Honestly feels that way with the lack of titles grabbing my attention and let downs like cyberpunk. Spend 2k on a pc to play broken games or online communities full of cheaters.

2. CuriousTomCat

Wise Guy

Lol, the prices went up because there's a shortage of product, not because "PC gaming is almost dead".

GDDR6 and GDDR5X is coming down in price and so are the cost of other GPU components (along with a drop in demand from mining) so that will start to filter down to retail prices soon.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2021
  3. random_matt

Wise Guy

Maybe Intel will be smart and price their cards cheaper. But then again Intel will likely do the opposite.

4. Protoype

Gangster

Haha! Intel wont' they will take advantage of the inflated MSRP and also add intel tax. So don't expect any cheap cards from them.

5. Joxeon

Sgarrista

Depends if they want to gain some market share and also some good PR around the launch.

6. pooley

Mobster

it irks me a little when people use the term 'enthusiast' just because they throw money at hardware, they are not one and the same imo
    as you say the forums used to be were discussions about the hardware, one might argue they were the 'enthusiasts'
    heck when overclocking was a thing you would buy the cheaper product and get more performance out of it :D

7. CuriousTomCat

Wise Guy

Cheap prices never allowed AMD to gain much market share though. Even when they had the fastest product. It proves that the average user prioritises the brand over price or performance. So I don't blame AMD for not bothering anymore.

Intel may try for the lower price approach but I doubt it will allow them to gain much more than 20% market share.

8. Joxeon

Sgarrista

AMD just undercut Nvidia by £50 though which isn't enough to make Nvidia buyers jump ship especially considering Nvidia have better RT and feature set.

Intel would need to be bolder and deliver prices £100 cheaper than what AMD and Nvidia are offering for similar performance at the mid to low end.

9. random_matt

Wise Guy

Brand? Plenty of Intel fans would give them a chance I reckon.

10. turbot1984

Mobster

When you factor in 50% back when you sell on, well, it softens the blow. Will I get £325 back on my 3080 next year, defo ;)

11. Protoype

Gangster

Maybe... but that's assuming Intel will play the smart game. We've seen Intel time and time again do minimal effort until put under massive pressure to release something half decent.

12. signal11th

Hitman

That's where a lot of people will come a cropper , because they have paid over inflated prices for these cards they are going to be in for a bit of a surprise when they try to sell them on.

13. turbot1984

Mobster

Yes i guess that will keep s/h prices on the high side too.

14. signal11th

Hitman

yes but eventually the prices will stabilise and if you paid 1200 for a 3080 and the prices creep down to 7-900 for a new one good luck trying to recoup your overspend.

15. dave28

Wise Guy

That is why i splashed out on a shiny new 30 series FE card instead of the usual used 3 year old cards i buy. Will hold value well this time IMO. The hassle and expense many have gone to for 30 series cards will stay in the memory i think and it could even be near 2 years before 50% drop for anyone who paid MRSP.
    Mid 2023 3080 for £300 odd quid, yes i can see it in my crystal ball lol

16. Joxeon

Sgarrista

That depends on how fast the next series of cards are when they arrive and obviously price/availability, you'll certainly be in a better position than people who paid scalped prices or those who bought those £3000 RTX3090s which will probably be worth £600 by the end of next year.

17. FlyingFish

Wise Guy

Before the 30 series and msrp details were released last year, I'd budgeted about 1k for a top end GPU based on the ridiculous prices of the 2080Ti.

Coming from a1080 Ti, I managed to get lucky and bag a release day 3080 at msrp, which after 9 months of gaming I've just sold for profit that's been put towards an upgrade to a msrp 3090FE I bagged in the drop other day.

Can't grumble at having a 3090 in my rig, without it costing the earth! But I think I've been very lucky considering the gpu climate for the last 9 months.

18. Cadder

Wise Guy

That's some good going. I have done something similar on a smaller scale with selling my first 3060 Ti to offset the cost of a 3080. My second 3060 Ti is going to family for less than I paid though.

19. FlyingFish

Wise Guy

As bizarre as it sounds, (due to the current climate) both myself and the chap who's bought my 3080 are happy punters. He got a great card less than current market value, and I got a 3090 without paying msrp. How crazy is that!

20. RBImGuy

Hitman

The cycle just becomes a bit longer, instead of buying a card just released one wait for next generation to come out and then buy previous generation card cheaper.
    Mining does not help btw for the market prices.
    so I suspect I wait for 2022 whenever next gen is coming.
    Its also not going to be cheap as AMD and Nvidia stop selling cards below $300 atm