How often do you polish?

Soldato
My minds turned back to car care recently after a long spell of having a car I could grow spuds on :o and I've been thinking- just how often should you polish a car?

The reason that I ask is I polished up just my bonnet the other day and gave it a coat of pure carnauba wax. I then went on to give the rest of the car a quick going over with Turtle Wax Speed Wax (spray on>wipe off>let the haze evaporate type stuff) Afterwards, the whole car looked great, the bonnet looked no better or worse than the rest of the car deapite me spending more time on it than the rest of the car put together. I'd last polished the whole car last May.

So I'm now thinking that as long as the paint surface is shiny theres no point in polishing at all?

I used to polish my car just once a year but tbh I'm considering leaving it until it starts to look like it needs a polish? Is this a bad idea? I was considering sticking with my yearly coat of pure carnauba but I'm not sure about putting this straight ontop of other wax?

I've also invested in some Auto Glym intensive tar remover as currently if I get tar marks I polish them off, I thought this would be a better method?

I must admit that I do go OTT with waxing. Everytime I wash my car (currently weekly) I spray onto the wet bodywork some Wax It Wet or Speed Wax and wipe off as its quicker and easier than getting the leather out :p

Just after a bit of advice really. My car does normally look bloody good if I do say so myself but just want to do whats best in terms of keeping it that way.

Soldato
With the MR2 I used to give it a full 3 stage Meguiars treatment in April/May time then just top up the wax every couple of months during the Summer.

I haven't done anything to the Elise yet, was too busy driving it last year so once the weather gets a bit better it'll get the full treatment too. Was planning on giving the MGF a good clean today but it's -2C out there so I'm just staying inside instead.

Associate
Its all about personal preference.

I have a whole load of polishes and waxes and usually give the car a good 7 hour detail every two months during the summer, and a "clean" everyother weekend. I like the paint to look wet, and can usually save time by keeping the paint well polished.

I usually use NXT Wax everytime I wash it, and everynow and then use Poorboys or Megs products.

Hopefully you have found www.detailingworld.co.uk forum where there is loads of advise and tips on keeping your car in tip top condition. And then you'll realise why a full detail takes me 7 hours.......

Soldato
Wash every couple of weeks. Top up wax every 2-3 months if needed.

Full detail (swirl removal, polish, glaze, sealant, wax) maybe 1 or 2 times a year.

Back
Top Bottom