**** How old is your Zippo?? ****

Soldato
Hi all,

I found my old Zippo the other day and resurrected it. :cool:

I was interested to know how old it is as I've had it for years and years and years! I looked here where it shows the date codes:

http://www.zippo.com/about/article.aspx?id=1582

Turns out I have has mine is J VIII and I've had it for 21 years! My lighter is older than the person I sit opposite at work lol :o

So how old is yours? Pics would be nice too:

pdhq.jpg

r1ye.jpg

Thanks,

G

Soldato
I don't smoke anymore but when I did I loved my Zippos. I didn't know you could look up their codes. Will have to dig out mine.

Soldato
I have one that's about 15 years old but I think it leaks fuel now and doesn't light particularly well. Whenever I used it my hand would smell of lighter fuel lol.

Soldato
My satin one is from 2001, but my brushed chrome and chrome models are older than that - I just can't remember where I left them!

Permabanned
The one I have with me is a 2010 - I 10. Birthday present from my brother a couple of years ago.

My other one's probably a bit older, maybe a 2006, but it needs a bit of work.

Soldato
OP
I have one that's about 15 years old but I think it leaks fuel now and doesn't light particularly well. Whenever I used it my hand would smell of lighter fuel lol.

They have a lifetime warranty mate, mine is so old that the wheel that sparks the flint went smooth and it wouldn't spark lol I sent it to Zippo in the states and they sorted it :) They replaced the whole inside and the hinge on the case :)

Soldato
Don't smoke but love my zippos, my favourite is 16 years old but had one from a mate which is quite fancy and that got to be 10+ years old.

I didn't realise they had a lifetime warranty, good to know.

Soldato
I had a brilliant two tone (TVR style paint) one that I had for years, eventually lost it on a night out and was really gutted.

Love the smell from a Zippo lighter

Soldato
Here's mine. Pretty old. From 1966 until 1973 the year code was denoted by combinations of vertical lines (|). I'm not sure how to tell exactly what yr it is. Anyone know? I also can't find out much about the Tankers Inn Vietnam. Would love to know some history on it. Was given to me by a close family friend a good 25yrs ago, who had a cousin who fought in the Vietnam War. I use to take it out with me, many yrs ago, when I smoked. One day really drunk, i thought I'd lost it. Spent a good while going thru all my pockets and remember going to bed spinning & GUTTED. Then the next morning, sober, there it was in one of my pockets. And that was the last time it went out with me. :D

** EDIT thanks to http://www.zippo.com/about/article.aspx?id=1582 its a 1968. :D

30gk.jpg

pfjw.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I bought mine in the mid 90's. Didn't know about the code so will check when I get home.

Edit.. mines a D XI making it 1995.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought one about a year and a half ago, got it taken away from me at sydney airport after owning it for 4 months or so when trying to fly to cairnes as they wouldn't let me board with it.

Dicks.

What annoyed me, is that there was no issue boarding from HTR > HK > SYD

Soldato
OP
Here's mine. Pretty old. From 1966 until 1973 the year code was denoted by combinations of vertical lines (|). I'm not sure how to tell exactly what yr it is. Anyone know? I also can't find out much about the Tankers Inn Vietnam. Would love to know some history on it. Was given to me by a close family friend a good 25yrs ago, who had a cousin who fought in the Vietnam War. I use to take it out with me, many yrs ago, when I smoked. One day really drunk, i thought I'd lost it. Spent a good while going thru all my pockets and remember going to bed spinning & GUTTED. Then the next morning, sober, there it was in one of my pockets. And that was the last time it went out with me. :D

Awesome :D

Soldato
Thanks to the OP for this thread. Following on from this, I've managed to find a site for the 2/34 armor who served in Nam, and a list of their email addresses. I may just hit some of them up, and let them know that 25yrs ago a boy from suburbia London, ended up with one of their zippo lighters, and that its now back in the US.

Looking at their site, there's some pretty cool history behind this little zippo of mine. I gave up smoking 20yrs ago, (before the internet & google) and its just sat in a drawer forgotten about. Only to resurface today thanks to this post.

Back
Top Bottom