How on earth can the MOJ think this is a good idea

Soldato
As title says there is no justice being served in this case, 7 years of a 17 year sentence (which was imo a way too lenient sentence in the 1st place).

Mairead Philpott jailed for killing her six children in Derby blaze released - BBC News

I think she'll get murdered (surprised she wasn't held to account whilst behind bars tbh) when someone eventually finds her new identity out, I know vigilante justice is never a good thing but if people don't feel justice is done then that's when they take matters into their own hands.

I just can't get my head around the fact that they believe she's served her time, as the MP comments she should get a life sentence per life not all rolled into one

Soldato
I think she'll get murdered
she won't, sadly.
surprised she wasn't held to account whilst behind bars tbh
i'm not, our prisons are not like those in the US, sadly.

it is an absolute disgrace that this vile, disgusting excuse for a human being is allowed to walk out of prison after a paltry 7 years. our justice system really does sometimes seems ridiculously lenient.

Soldato
OP
i'm not, our prisons are not like those in the US, sadly.

They may not be as 'bad' as the US but there is plenty of opportunity unless she was segregated and I'm included on enough emails showing shanks etc. that prisoners have crafted to know that there is plenty of weapons available to do the deed.

Caporegime
It's kind of weird that is there is a sort of hierarchy of crimes within the criminal society itself.

Child murderer is worse than a child abuser is worse than a 'serial killer who only killed adults'.

Like straight up murdering 20 adults is deemed less bad than molesting a single child.

Soldato
They may not be as 'bad' as the US but there is plenty of opportunity unless she was segregated and I'm included on enough emails showing shanks etc. that prisoners have crafted to know that there is plenty of weapons available to do the deed.
how many UK prisoners meet this vigilante justice, or end up on the end of these shanks etc you see in emails?

Man of Honour
As title says there is no justice being served in this case, 7 years of a 17 year sentence (which was imo a way too lenient sentence in the 1st place).

Mairead Philpott jailed for killing her six children in Derby blaze released - BBC News

I think she'll get murdered (surprised she wasn't held to account whilst behind bars tbh) when someone eventually finds her new identity out, I know vigilante justice is never a good thing but if people don't feel justice is done then that's when they take matters into their own hands.

I just can't get my head around the fact that they believe she's served her time, as the MP comments she should get a life sentence per life not all rolled into one

I can imagine an MOJ meeting, where the fact that our jails are overcrowded was on the agenda, so suggestions were put forward about having a mini clear out, to make room for those coming through next.
When Philpott’s name came up, someone said, “Oh no, the public will go nuts!”
To which the chairman said, “Who gives a **** about the public ?”

Soldato
OP
how many UK prisoners meet this vigilante justice, or end up on the end of these shanks etc you see in emails?
Not many but then again I don't cover high security prisons so in my Cat D there's more than I think people appreciate. I am not a prison guard so don't have that close relationship with prisoners but I'm included on all the security emails, watch lists and high priority issues the prison has.
Whilst I'm sympathetic people being upset at the short sentence here, we have nothing to learn or emulate from the US penal system.
I'm not holding them up as some sort of beacon to aspire to but I'm wise enough to know that rapists and child killers are seen as the lowest of the low by prisoners and a lot are targets.

Soldato
My Granda worked in a prison for years, when it it was proper payroll blaggers etc. The proper crooks used to launch the granny bashers down the stairs for a competition.

Caporegime
I opened this thread expecting to see this

Screenshot-20201201-083116-Chrome.jpg

Soldato
It does seem rather lenient... But hard to know the ins and outs of the case without being in the trial. This sort of issue comes up every now and then and it does seem that we could do with a major overhaul of sentencing guidelines to instil some confidence in the system... Actually the entire criminal justice system could probably do with some well thought out reform. No real chance of that happening though really, would be an awful lot of work for a payoff that most people wouldn't appreciate, with a lot of political risk for any government that started it.

That MP just comes across as completely ignorant.
"Pauline Latham, Conservative MP for Mid Derbyshire, said she would be raising the matter with the Attorney General as she believed she should serve a life sentence for each child and "never have come out [of jail]"."
As an MP you'd hope she would be aware that that is not how the law works in the UK, but obviously not. If she really feels strongly about it then she's a Conservative MP so it's up to her to get the government to do something about it, rather than just trying to stoke up some anti-establishment anger.

I hate politics in this country.

Caporegime
Looks at picture.

Looks at posters name.

Shock horror. No surprise here again.

Seriously are you comparing killing 6 kids to watching a drug user/addict die just because the person is black?

It's a rhetorical question we already know your motives here.

I'm not comparing anything I just stated what I perceived the thread to be about before I clicked it?

Back
Top Bottom