how quiet is ur rig?

Soldato
i have an rtx 2080 and a 8086k. my pc is quiet, like i cant hear fans but i can hear a fridge type noise as its on. its not super loud but aduible suring silent parts of a film.

this is normal right and just electrical components? I've read on forums people describe their rigs as silent??

Soldato
i have an rtx 2080 and a 8086k. my pc is quiet, like i cant hear fans but i can hear a fridge type noise as its on. its not super loud but aduible suring silent parts of a film.

this is normal right and just electrical components? I've read on forums people describe their rigs as silent??

The only silent rigs going are passive cooling rigs, and those run hot hot unless you invest in some really fancy equipment that costs thousands. But even then really there is electrical noise.

but yes when people say silent what they really mean is very quiet.

Soldato
OP
The only silent rigs going are passive cooling rigs, and those run hot hot unless you invest in some really fancy equipment that costs thousands. But even then really there is electrical noise.

but yes when people say silent what they really mean is very quiet.
Thanks
Wanted to make sure I wasn’t going crazy. I’ve never owned a silent pc.

I mean my fans aren’t even on in my pc but I can still hear the psu or whatever’s it is or hard drivers or idle graphics card. Sure it’s not loud but silent it’s not..

I got the same thing when people said their PS4’s are silent.

The only console device I have which is silent is my Nintendo switch

Soldato
Thanks
Wanted to make sure I wasn’t going crazy. I’ve never owned a silent pc.

I mean my fans aren’t even on in my pc but I can still hear the psu or whatever’s it is or hard drivers or idle graphics card. Sure it’s not loud but silent it’s not..

I got the same thing when people said their PS4’s are silent.

The only console device I have which is silent is my Nintendo switch

Yeah don't worry about it, people really misuse the word silent when talking about this stuff. As a side note on your PSU a lot of them never turn their fans on only fancy eco ones will turn them off below X load or X temperature depending on the situation.

Associate
My PC is extremely quiet, but you can still hear a fan whirring sound if you go up close, and when gaming it's definitely audible.

That's with a NZXT Hush OO1 noise dampening case (12 years old but still great), a Be Quiet Pure Rock cooler as my case won't fit any bigger in the range, and just 2 Corsair ML 102 Pro fans in front push, back pull. Also an EVGA G2 750 power suppy in Eco mode which is totally silent during that time. 1060 6GB Windforce which doesn't even spin up the fans unless gaming.

I did design it to be quiet, including spending way more on fans than I normally would as they're rubber mounted, I'm happy with how quiet the end result is.

It's my work and gaming rig so it being quiet under low strain is vital, I don't mind it being slightly noisier when gaming, but it's still quieter than consoles under load.

Soldato
OP
My PC is extremely quiet, but you can still hear a fan whirring sound if you go up close, and when gaming it's definitely audible.

That's with a NZXT Hush OO1 noise dampening case (12 years old but still great), a Be Quiet Pure Rock cooler as my case won't fit any bigger in the range, and just 2 Corsair ML 102 Pro fans in front push, back pull. Also an EVGA G2 750 power suppy in Eco mode which is totally silent during that time. 1060 6GB Windforce which doesn't even spin up the fans unless gaming.

I did design it to be quiet, including spending way more on fans than I normally would as they're rubber mounted, I'm happy with how quiet the end result is.

It's my work and gaming rig so it being quiet under low strain is vital, I don't mind it being slightly noisier when gaming, but it's still quieter than consoles under load.

Yeah I have a Fractal case, a Noctua air cooler and some fans but i can still hear my PC at idle from 3M away. don't get me wrong, its not SUPER loud or obtrusive but if no sound is playing in the room, i can hear my PC if its switched on.

Man of Honour
Mine is reasonably quiet... when the HDDs switch off... I've got a large "passive" heatsink on the CPU, Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 case fans and the PSU runs passive upto ~250 watt load. The mechanical HDDs when spun up though make a lot of buzzing/humming :( probably not that bad in a normal PC but definitely loud compared to the rest.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah I have a Fractal case, a Noctua air cooler and some fans but i can still hear my PC at idle from 3M away. don't get me wrong, its not SUPER loud or obtrusive but if no sound is playing in the room, i can hear my PC if its switched on.

That's the thing I wished, I can still hear it with open back headphones when gaming. Granted it doesn't drown out my headphones. It would be nice to have zero noise as if nothing was running. Cannot hear it when idle though.

Soldato
Pretty damn quiet if i am honest, but not silent. I think the only noise is airflow, although it does get louder when put under load, mostly the GPU.

Even my 2.5" HDD is extremely quiet, really surprised me. Not sure if it being behind the motherboard tray is helping hide any noise.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, so I don't have something defective going on with my rig?

If I put my iphone right to my rig, you can clearly hear sound/air circulating and some parts "on" hence making noise. The fans aren't really being pushed at all as I can hear them if I play a graphically intense game.

This whole "whisper quiet" and silent thing really confuses me. I'm browsing the net now and I can still hear my PC. Sure its not noticeable in regards to fans blaring off or like my PS4, but it also not near-silent like my nintendo switch.

Soldato
OP
I can't here my PC when doing something like browsing the web or watching a film, but if I'm doing something that puts the CPU or GPU to 100% it's definitely got an audible fan noise.

Really? Not at all?

I'm not talking about fan noise here specifically; moreso just noise from the PC.

I'm so confused now as to whether there is something wrong with my PC. I can hear it for sure whilst browsing the web (as its silent in the room other than the PC).

Watching a film, I agree very unlikely to ever hear it.

Permabanned
Thanks guys, so I don't have something defective going on with my rig?

If I put my iphone right to my rig, you can clearly hear sound/air circulating and some parts "on" hence making noise. The fans aren't really being pushed at all as I can hear them if I play a graphically intense game.

This whole "whisper quiet" and silent thing really confuses me. I'm browsing the net now and I can still hear my PC. Sure its not noticeable in regards to fans blaring off or like my PS4, but it also not near-silent like my nintendo switch.

There are a lot of variables in sound generation and how it travels. Certain volumes and frequencies various people are more or less sensitive to.

It’s also relative. A PC that’s “silent” to one person could be noisy to another.

Are you happy with it or do you want to change something?

Something as simple as how a certain type of fan draws air through a certain type of filter or grating can change the noise more than you might think.

Even rotating your case or moving it slightly can change the way the sound reflects off the wall... you can potentially direct sound away from your head if you want to get in-depth with it.

A fridge type noise could possibly be a bearing issue in one of the fans. But that doesn’t mean there is an issue, just may sound like that to you. Could also be some air trapped in the water cooler if you have an AIO cooler... that’s easy to get rid of by just wobbling the case a few times in different directions while it’s switched on.

Some find certain brands of fan make a sound that they are sensitive to and others find it quiet.

Another way to locate the noise is to turn each fan on and off in the software for the motherboard or bios... or unplug each fan one at a time if you don’t have that control feature.

I put a lot of effort into making a high performance overclocked machine as close to silent as possible while maintaining reasonable temperatures... takes some doing.

Easiest way to change something is to locate what’s causing the noise. Take the side panel off and move your head around to locate the source... then see if you can/want to do something about it.

My solution was to watercool and go overkill on radiators. Plus pick the right fans that can move more air / create more pressure at a lower rpm. I leave all fans at 30% all the time, only the water pump speed changes and that’s all I need.

A constant noise I find much better than one that constantly changes... so balancing the fan curve well helps a lot.

Only noticeable noise I get is the pump zipping up to 100% on cpu intensive tasks and cool whine from one of the GPUs when gaming.

Have a closer look and tell us where the source of the noise is.

Soldato
Really? Not at all?

I'm not talking about fan noise here specifically; moreso just noise from the PC.

I'm so confused now as to whether there is something wrong with my PC. I can hear it for sure whilst browsing the web (as its silent in the room other than the PC).

Watching a film, I agree very unlikely to ever hear it.
At low CPU use can't here it at all - it's all SSD and decent fans, unless it's being pushed the fans are not moving fast enough to make noise I can hear, it about 5ft from where I sit.

Maybe I'm going a bit deaf though...

Soldato
OP
There are a lot of variables in sound generation and how it travels. Certain volumes and frequencies various people are more or less sensitive to.

It’s also relative. A PC that’s “silent” to one person could be noisy to another.

Are you happy with it or do you want to change something?

Something as simple as how a certain type of fan draws air through a certain type of filter or grating can change the noise more than you might think.

Even rotating your case or moving it slightly can change the way the sound reflects off the wall... you can potentially direct sound away from your head if you want to get in-depth with it.

A fridge type noise could possibly be a bearing issue in one of the fans. But that doesn’t mean there is an issue, just may sound like that to you. Could also be some air trapped in the water cooler if you have an AIO cooler... that’s easy to get rid of by just wobbling the case a few times in different directions while it’s switched on.

Some find certain brands of fan make a sound that they are sensitive to and others find it quiet.

Another way to locate the noise is to turn each fan on and off in the software for the motherboard or bios... or unplug each fan one at a time if you don’t have that control feature.

I put a lot of effort into making a high performance overclocked machine as close to silent as possible while maintaining reasonable temperatures... takes some doing.

Easiest way to change something is to locate what’s causing the noise. Take the side panel off and move your head around to locate the source... then see if you can/want to do something about it.

My solution was to watercool and go overkill on radiators. Plus pick the right fans that can move more air / create more pressure at a lower rpm. I leave all fans at 30% all the time, only the water pump speed changes and that’s all I need.

A constant noise I find much better than one that constantly changes... so balancing the fan curve well helps a lot.

Only noticeable noise I get is the pump zipping up to 100% on cpu intensive tasks and cool whine from one of the GPUs when gaming.

Have a closer look and tell us where the source of the noise is.

Really really good points.
I do think I have very sensitive hearing and some OCD which could be contributing towards this.
Also for me silent.. means silent. And apart from my Nintendo Switch, no other device I have (even my AVR) is totally silent.

My GPU fans seem to be at 29% at all times by the lowest. One weird thing is playing Witcher 3 at 4k, the rig wasn't THAT loud at all just now. It got a bit louder, but nothing extreme. This makes me think, is my machine at watching films just a bit louder than normal usual or is it really well cooled/insulated by a decent case, that even when pushed, its ok?

Back
Top Bottom