How sheep like are drivers

Associate
Title reminds me of a Scot who once looked up from eating and asked....

"Whats like your steak?"

Needless to say we did question, the question.

Associate
Was there space for you to move over earlier or were you overtaking cars the whole time? It is an overtaking lane not an "I'm doing the speed limit leave me alone" lane. Doing the speed limit with the lanes to the left clogged full of cars fair enough, but it annoys me when you get someone blocking up the road in the wrong lane and not a car in sight for miles.

Everyone in the left was doing low 40's, i'm not going to squeeze between them for some idiot who wants to shoot past overhead cams in a 50 zone. In that situation he was basically asking me to risk getting a speeding ticket or put other drivers at risk by forcing/squeezing my self into the middle lane. I don't think half those cams are on anyway but that's not the point.

Soldato
Think I've read somewhere that it's thought this sort of thing would lead to people speeding towards traffic lights if they could see they had a few seconds to get there before they change to red, or jumping the gun if they see they only have a couple of seconds before changing to green.

Just reminded me when the MENSA group in the simpsons start running the town. "from studies it can be seen that drivers go the fastest when the lights are on the change....so we now only have RED and YELLOW on the lights" and then cuts to lenny gunning it through a string of lights "come onnnnn stay amberrr.....stay amberrr...... wooo I'm making excellent time...... if only I had some play to be"

yeah with a count down I'd imagine there would be loads jumping or gunning it through the lights as they saw the timer. you can kinda guess when quite a lot are going to change (more so if local so know the patterns)......it's when I know the pattern and it seems to be taking even longer is what frustrates me.......staring at an empty junction for 20 seconds and they still have the green :p

Associate
The problem is caused by high levels of diversity. These methods of driving are perfectly normal in their indigenous countries but are offensive and misplaced here, especially when all these conflicting psyches are sharing the road.

Soldato
^^

In London what you get is people who come from a side road and will be extremely aggressive in getting on to the main road, causing people that have priority to brake suddenly to avoid collision. In fact on Friday this happened 3 times.

Why are you so unwilling to allow minor road traffic to filter in during heavy traffic conditions?

Do you really expect them to sit there until midnight when the traffic eventually clears?

Associate
I tell you what else is so annoying/sheepish.

The constant speeding up to a red traffic light, slamming break down and speeding off again.

I average 20mph in 2nd gear and cruise without stopping. More economical, less wear and tear -- theoretically -- at least it would be if everyone stopped cutting me up (A41 Hendon Way/Finchley Road).

Tea Drinker
Don
This is why my vehicle us perfect round London.

No one barges you about, everyone let's you in, you can see miles ahead and have the power to keep up with most of the other vehicles.

Pot holes and speed bumps lol

The only draw back is that people tailgate you assuming you're the slow coach when in fact they just can't see the car in front of me.

Associate
OP
This is why my vehicle us perfect round London.

No one barges you about, everyone let's you in, you can see miles ahead and have the power to keep up with most of the other vehicles.

Pot holes and speed bumps lol

The only draw back is that people tailgate you assuming you're the slow coach when in fact they just can't see the car in front of me.

Truck? Bus?

Would you even notice if a tailgater rear ended you? :p

Associate
I average 20mph in 2nd gear and cruise without stopping. More economical, less wear and tear -- theoretically -- at least it would be if everyone stopped cutting me up (A41 Hendon Way/Finchley Road).

Similar thing.

I see a light turn red so i sometimes just gently slow down as I'm approaching them. (
You get the odd guy giving you looks in the mirror like your stopping on a green light or something. They're more focused on the bumper in front than what's going on on the road ahead.

Soldato
I tell you what else is so annoying/sheepish.

The constant speeding up to a red traffic light, slamming break down and speeding off again.

Many people seem surprised that the peak flow for a traffic lane occurs at about 18mph

Next time you are in stop/start traffic on (Say) the M25, just stick to 18!

You will find the traffic infront moving away and then stopping but mostly it will start moving again "Just" before you catch up with it!

If you are really lucky, you will find people in adjacent lanes that get the idea!

It makes the traffic jam experience much more pleasant, not just for you but also for all the people behind you!

Soldato
If I'm coming up to a red light, I like to slow down a bit as I approach it. Generally, 75% of the time, it turns green just as I get to it or as I reach the queue that's already there. The amount of people who seem determined to park in my boot while I do it though is unbelievable. Do they not realise that there is absolutely no time difference between slowly coming to a light and continuing at that same pace until they change, and doing a million mph up to them, braking hard and then being sat there waiting?

Man of Honour
If I'm coming up to a red light, I like to slow down a bit as I approach it. Generally, 75% of the time, it turns green just as I get to it or as I reach the queue that's already there. The amount of people who seem determined to park in my boot while I do it though is unbelievable. Do they not realise that there is absolutely no time difference between slowly coming to a light and continuing at that same pace until they change, and doing a million mph up to them, braking hard and then being sat there waiting?

Generally true but not completely. Some lights are probably programmed to change sooner if a larger volume of traffic is present. You getting there sooner might facilitate an earlier change. Additionally, if there is no car waiting at the lights, then the lights wont change (they work on electromagnetics to pick up a car waiting), so you slowly crawling up to them doesn't help you at all.

Soldato

I do this too. The majority of lights on my route to work can be seen from a small distance, if they're on red, off the power, gently let the car slow down by the time I'm there they're changing/changed, back on the power. Usually I don't drop below 15mph.

I have had some dirty glares through the rear-view though but I'm guessing thats from those ***** that think speed signs are a target not a limit.

Soldato
So i VERY slowly moved into the middle lane & let them go. Maybe his wife was pregnant?

Maybe! You don't know! I once exceeded all the speed limits getting someone to hospital for a transplant operation, and was grateful for everyone who got out of the overtaking lane(s) to let me pass at a higher speed. Not so happy with the one person who VERY slowly moved over...

Soldato
Maybe! You don't know! I once exceeded all the speed limits getting someone to hospital for a transplant operation, and was grateful for everyone who got out of the overtaking lane(s) to let me pass at a higher speed. Not so happy with the one person who VERY slowly moved over...

I'm not saying you did the wrong thing morally, or that I wouldn't likely do the same thing in your shoes, but legally speaking you are unlikely to have a leg to stand on if prosecuted for endangering other drivers through reckless driving.

That being said, if everyone moved over unless specifically overtaking someone, our roads would move a lot smoother.

I tend to find on a lot of these average speed limit controlled sections, most cars tend to drive at 5mph below the speed limit through inaccurate speedos or lack of cruise control and excessive caution. Which is fine and their prerogative. But this does leave me in the 'overtaking' lane steadily moving past everyone with minimal room to move over if someone comes up more quickly behind me, so I can appreciate the position the OP may have been in.

Back
Top Bottom