How to become a teacher?

Associate
Any teachers in here?

I'm 28 but really fancy a change of career, ive always like the idea of becoming a teacher, ideally in a primary school.

I done my GCSE's but thats it so know it would probably take a long time, ive done a quick google search but thought it might be worth a post in here?

What courses would i need to do, how long would it take and im guessing it would mean leaving work and doing a full time course?

Thanks.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Do you have a degree?
You need to have a degree in order to do a PGCE, which allows you to teach.

Alternatively, you can study a degree which has teacher training modules includes in the course, giving you QTS (qualified teacher status)

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/itt-routes.aspx

Degree takes three years. I presume you need A levels first though, so add another year on top of that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I attempted teaching at 28, it is hell. Please for the love of God do not teach...

Seriously I am not trolling, it is low paid and very soul destroying, do your degree and go into the private sector in something, much more rewarding both financially and spiratually.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I attempted teaching at 28, it is hell. Please for the love of God do not teach...

Seriously I am not trolling, it is low paid and very soul destroying, do your degree and go into the private sector in something, much more rewarding both financially and spiratually.
I disagree. I've been teaching in an international school for three years and it's well paid, extremely rewarding and lots of fun.

Sure, teaching can be hell, but it doesn't have to be..

Soldato
Do you have a degree?

Alternatively, you can study a degree which has teacher training modules includes in the course, giving you QTS (qualified teacher status)

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/itt-routes.aspx

Degree takes three years. I presume you need A levels first though, so add another year on top of that.

This. My sister has just done her teaching degree.

Man of Honour
You could try teaching English as a foreign language for a bit to see if teaching is for you? You can get the proper TEFL qualifications for about £1000 which will allow to teach in some of the properly paid places abroad (Japan/s.Korea).

Or at even less risk teach in Thailand/China without the qualification.

After seeing if you like it or not you can then enroll on the relevant UK courses?

Soldato
I'm just providing my experience for balance.

I've seen it from both sides - like most things, everyone is different and certain jobs aren't suited to certain people.

I know I couldn't do it at primary or secondary school but I'd be fine at college or uni.

My girlfriend is an MFL teacher at a secondary school and loves it but says she couldn't be a primary school teacher.

I'd say go for it if it's what you think you want to do.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I wouldn't go anywhere near teaching whilst Gove is in charge and the attacks he's orchestrating on the profession.

Associate
OP
Do you have a degree?

So im looking at about 4 years? 32 by the time im done. To late?

Man of Honour
I disagree. I've been teaching in an international school for three years and it's well paid, extremely rewarding and lots of fun.

Sure, teaching can be hell, but it doesn't have to be..

This tbh. (Teaching in a private school btw). Plus, I wouldn't want to lose the numerous holidays :D

Associate
Before you decide to ensure you actually understand what is required of a teacher. you will need a minimum of 2 recent weeks experience in a school before beginning the degree or post grad. The longer the better in my experience.

The paid holidays are quality! I Couldn't live without them now. But any holiday you take tends to be at peak times and at peak prices.

Back
Top Bottom