How to/best way to clean inside of PC?

Associate
Anyone saying to use a vacuumn cleaner needs to stop, the amount of static generated by them is insane, never EVER go near a PC with a hoover, ever!!! Compressed air and a paintbrush is all you need.

Soldato
Anyone saying to use a vacuumn cleaner needs to stop, the amount of static generated by them is insane, never EVER go near a PC with a hoover, ever!!! Compressed air and a paintbrush is all you need.

As much as I don't recommend it, I have vacuumed tons of computers and never broken anything. If you're holding the nozzle and the case itself you do minimise the risk of arcing from static too.

I'd never do it on my main gaming rig though.

Permabanned
I think it depends on the vaccum. I have certainly never had one that generates any static. Any movement of air can generate static I suppose. I would not use an attached brush head though just in case... you don't want the nozzle of whatever you are using to touch the pc. Use a paintbrush and air blower or vacuum. Dear god don't use a compressor. Compressors use oil. Last thing you want is oil all over your motherboard. If you want to use air then a manual blower or a can of compressed air.
I use a paintbrush to dislodge the dust then a vacuum on on what falls out.

Associate
My ocd makes me clean my pc way more often than its needed.. but hey :)
A good tip is also to keep and old soft toothbrush to clean fan blades and other more hard to get areas

Soldato
Dear god don't use a compressor. Compressors use oil. Last thing you want is oil all over your motherboard. If you want to use air then a manual blower or a can of compressed air.
Dear God, don't use a car with a water-cooled radiator. Water-cooled radiators use water and the last thing you want is water in your car's fuse box!!!! :p

If you're getting oil in your air line, your compressor is damaged.

Permabanned
Dear God, don't use a car with a water-cooled radiator. Water-cooled radiators use water and the last thing you want is water in your car's fuse box!!!! :p

If you're getting oil in your air line, your compressor is damaged.

Nope. Only some compressors are oil free.

Don
The Compucleaners are great - I've got the original at home, and an expert at work, and both get plenty of use. The expert gets used almost daily at work and has for the last 3 or 4 years, so has paid for itself many times over versus cans of compressed air. Even my one at home gets more use than I expected, as it makes it much easier to clean things like Playstations, Amplifiers, Sky Boxes etc

The cans of compressed air these days seem to only have a few "full pressure" blasts before the can becomes too cold and not as effective (likely due to a change of propellant to be more environmentally friendly), whereas the compucleaners will run for ages without issue.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £124.88 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Permabanned
I didn't say oil-free. Many compressors use oil to lubricate the motor... but if you're getting oil actually in your air line, your compressor is buggered.

Well, my compressor has a built in oil injector to oil the tools. Maybe mine is unusual then.

Soldato
Well, my compressor has a built in oil injector to oil the tools. Maybe mine is unusual then.
What make/model is yours?

Most compressors, at least the big 50-100+ litre ones I'm talking about, will use two different oils. Compressor oil, for the main machine, ie motor, pump, etc. The second kind is more general use and only occasionally necessary, which lubes the tools.
Neither of those oils should be finding its way into the air line, though. There should be seals on all connected parts, specifically to prevent the oil from being sprayed all over your work, whether you're air dusting, sand blasting, spray painting or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom