How to build a PC by The Verge - Did anyone see this travesty!?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Anyone else see this blow up on the internet?

This may be the worst thing I've ever seen. Unsurprisingly they took the video down. But there are many 'reaction video's' on YT. Just search The Verge on YT lol.

Here are my favourites. :D

They have an article up on their site, which tbh should comedown too, its just as crap.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/13/17828092/gaming-pc-build-custom-how-to-asus-intel-geforce-cost

I am honestly at a loss how this got published in the first place. :eek:

Associate
I think this was the editor mentioned at the start getting the company to buy him a new gaming PC, and he just grabbed one of the tech writers and told him to make the video :p There's so much wrong with the video, its kinda nuts, and because its sponsored they can't take the video down without paying back the sponsor money.

Soldato
I am amazed it even made it to Youtube. They obviously have no QA at the Verge. All those people listed in the credits and not one of them saw anything wrong. Amazing really.

Soldato
I haven’t seen something as mind-blowingly bad in ages. BitWits coverage in particular was hilarious.

Cringiest moments for me were when he was driving those long screws into the rad fins, saying the anti-vibration mounts were to protect from shorts, and the worst thermal paste application ever placed in addition to factory paste on the water block.

When I saw it they’d disabled likes / dislikes and comments. I cannot imagine how many downvotes and negative comments they received. Imo they need to release a video apologising. I wouldn’t bother redoing it though, all credibility is lost! :D

Soldato
The video was very bad and its sad that it got taken down because of "racism" (whether that is because people were being racist or because the Verge felt the need to 'play the race card, both are sad) but that Lyle guy, bloody hell, his style is really grating! I'm entirely indifferent to "YouTube celebrities" in general but he's one for me to especially avoid!

Associate
The video was very bad and its sad that it got taken down because of "racism" (whether that is because people were being racist or because the Verge felt the need to 'play the race card, both are sad) but that Lyle guy, bloody hell, his style is really grating! I'm entirely indifferent to "YouTube celebrities" in general but he's one for me to especially avoid!

The video was taken down because it was terrible and should never have gone up.

If they are citing racism as their reason for removing it that is just disgusting.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Interested to see the source of a racism claim.

Soldato
Jayz2cents did a good one about how badly you can build a pc, disobeying all the standard best practise and it still working. Only decent video he has done.

Soldato
Im going from an image on Facebook from the Facebook group PC Builders Forum (so it's gotta be true!) which shows The Verges statement. It looks like it's a flagged comment on the YouTube video itself judging by the thumbs up and thumbs down icons. In addition to the video being factually correct, It says something like "we're happy to openly engage with the community across platforms but over the weekend multiple people on our staff have been subject to a wave of attacks, including hundreds of racist attacks on the host of the video".

I'm on my phone so I can't share the image or anything

Associate
Jayz2cents did a good one about how badly you can build a pc, disobeying all the standard best practise and it still working. Only decent video he has done.

Yeah but he was pointing out that a lot of what he was doing wasn't ideal.
The intent there was to point out that building your own pc needn't be scary and that internet best practices arent the be all and end all of pc building.

The verge video on the other hand took someone unprepared who looked like they didnt know which end of a screwdriver to use (thank god for swiss army knives) and threw them at some hardware and tried to pass it off as a guide for others to follow.

It wasnt just bad to watch for the informed viewer, it was filled with bad or made up information that should never have made it into a guide that would misslead the uninformed.

Soldato
Yeah but he was pointing out that a lot of what he was doing wasn't ideal.
The intent there was to point out that building your own pc needn't be scary and that internet best practices arent the be all and end all of pc building.

The verge video on the other hand took someone unprepared who looked like they didnt know which end of a screwdriver to use (thank god for swiss army knives) and threw them at some hardware and tried to pass it off as a guide for others to follow.

It wasnt just bad to watch for the informed viewer, it was filled with bad or made up information that should never have made it into a guide that would misslead the uninformed.

You mean I shouldn't be worried that my case doesn't have rubber pads to put my PSU on? Lol

Back
Top Bottom