• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to bypass the maximum fan speed limit on R9 390

Caporegime
So I read that the stock drivers/BIOS/something limits the fan speed of R9 390's and when they reach 94 degrees, they throttle and keep the fan at the same speed instead of increasing the fan speed further.

I did some fiddling about and have figured out that the fan maxes out at 64% speed, though this shows as 100% in the AMD software and in Afterburner etc...

Is there a way to bypass this so I can increase the fan speed?

My cards are at 100% load all the time, in non-ideal surroundings, and I would rather have a fan bearing give up, than a chip!

Soldato
Mining?

You could bypass all that junk in the software and wire up 12v from your psu to the fan. Won't look pretty and it'll sound like a hoover but hey.

Caporegime
OP
Yes mining, and it is the top card which is overheating in my case. Could ghetto it sure. But I'm going to check the warranty status first, and then apply new paste if its out of warranty.

Soldato
I took the fan and mounts off my XFX 480 and put 2x 120mm fans on the stock heatsink wired up to a fan controller. Almost a perfect fit too, even a couple of the screw holes line up. Works much better (and WAY quieter). Doesn't look to awful either tbh :)

Soldato
I took the fan and mounts off my XFX 480 and put 2x 120mm fans on the stock heatsink wired up to a fan controller. Almost a perfect fit too, even a couple of the screw holes line up. Works much better (and WAY quieter). Doesn't look to awful either tbh :)
If mining he can't hardly do this lol. He has more than 1 card slotted in so no space to put 120mm fans under the heatsink. Best bet is to repaste and have a fan blowing towards them.

Soldato
Reduce the power and the clocks to suit, you only need memory speed for mining anyway, core clock is useless. Turn the power/heat down, save on the electricity bill and lose no mining speed = win, win, win!

Back
Top Bottom