1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change gear box drive shaft seals

Discussion in 'Motors' started by whitecrook, Dec 28, 2009.

1. whitecrook

Sgarrista

Anyone know how I get the old drive shaft seals out and the new ones in? I got a kit and it has 2 large seals which obviously go in each side and a 3rd smaller seal not sure where that would go?

Is it just a case of getting a screwdriver and levering it out and pushing a new seal in?

It's a F17 vectra gearbox

2. sigma

Capodecina

I'd prefer to use something made of hard plastic rather than metal, or i've got like a small pointy scraper that I dig into seals (obviously not all the way through) to pull 'em out.

3. Dave L

Wise Guy

There are special seal pullers - hooked jobbies but not sure on the access on this application.

Large screwdriver carefully placed will do the trick.

[​IMG]

4. Jonny69

Man of Honour

I've always forced seals out with screwdrivers. Never failed me yet, but they can be a bitch to get out sometimes. Put a large socket over the new one to tap it in if you want to be extra delicate with it.

5. Dave L

Wise Guy

Or even use the old seal to help drive the new one in.

All depends on access.

And if there are no depth stops, don't drive the seal in too deeply!

6. whitecrook

Sgarrista

Is it worth replacing the seals? Or should that be 'it's alwasy worth replacing the seals'

The gearbox is lying on my hal floor. Access shouldn't be a problem. Was trying with a screwdriver for 5 mins earlier... seems like a tight bugger. Hence I thought there may have been some kind of knack.

Should I be sticking the driver in the rubber bit, or between the box and the metal outer, or underneath to try and hook it somehow

7. Dave L

Wise Guy

No, under no circumstances should you drive the screwdriver inbetween the seal and casing!

8. Thomas. PLease.

Soldato

Underneath and try and hook it out is what I've done. Nice fat flat bladed driver, go all the way round the edge and it dhould come eventually

9. Dave L

Wise Guy

I'm no good at doing diagrams here, otherwise I'd draw you a pic and show you how to get it out without damage.

10. Dave L

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  11. whitecrook

Sgarrista

Here's some pics of it. Nothing unusual other than the 3rd, smaller seal ... http://whitecrook.ath.cx/vec_gb/

Ahh I see the pics above. Will just give it another try, only this time I'll try to be more manly and out-alpha it.

12. Dave L

Wise Guy

Piece of cake job.

Use a suitably sized socket to knock the new seal into place nice and evenly.

13. mattyprice4004

Soldato

Never heard of seals going on an F17 box, and it's not hard to do if they do need doing.

Rather you took than chance, than rodger the seal between the gearbox and seal itself with a screwdriver!

14. Berger

Sgarrista

Third seal might be input shaft seal or selector rod seal?