how to discharge my bodys static electric charge

Associate
just about to build pc phanteks eclipse p600s with with ryzen 3700x rtx2070 super 450 thomahawk max board I never build before just read you need to discharge your bodys static electric charge how can I be sure I'm doing this safely while building

Soldato
Touch a radiator now and again. Or if you’ve got the PSU installed, plug it in (keep the PSU off though) and touch a metal part of the case.

Associate
Touch a radiator now and again. Or if you’ve got the PSU installed, plug it in (keep the PSU off though) and touch a metal part of the case.
the radiator touching does nothing as you need to touch bare unpainted metal, i.e. the pips underneath if these are bare copper.

Other wise the PSU trick is fine, but again it needs to be unpainted metal

Associate
OP
ok thanks I was wondering about the painted radiator so was touching the bottom of it but once the psu is installed I can touch all parts and install no problem

Soldato
ok guys im stuck at trying to install h100i rgb platinum se to thomahawk 450 max board back plate wont line up
Got any pics of this so we can help you diagnose the issue?

Also yeah dont worry about the ESD, its not worth worrying about. Been building pc's for years and never had an issue, the percentage of it happening to you is very very small.

Soldato
did you buy the right H100i? There are two models i believe.. The cooler is the same but the mounting hardware is different. You need the AM4 bracket for it.

EDIT : just saw you got the SE edition so that does have the right bracket, sorry for skim reading lol.

As above any pics would help and make sure you are using the correct mounting kit provided.

this seems to be a decent video guide.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yes I have another bracket am4 it's like a bracket split in half with only 1 screw hole in each does this get mounted at back of board at angle than yea both h100i never mind got it

Last edited:
Associate
If you have spent that amount of money on all those new parts then why not spend a fiver on an anti static wrist strap and cable with croc clip? Just attach the croc clip to a radiator or even a proper earthing plug.

Static sometimes does not kill a part outright, it can discharge on a part and cause it to fail prematurely. If I didn’t wear a static strap when doing my job at work then a customer could report it and I would be sacked.

Back
Top Bottom