How to I remove cover/heat spreader on my ram?

Associate
In that image the heatspreader looks like a single sheet of folded metal. It would be held onto the RAM by its shape and fixed in place by the adhesive properties of the thermal interface material below.

I've removed one similar and had to bend the heatspreader a little to get it to move. Applying heat may help loosen the hold of the thermal material, but this is only hearsay.

On other modules where i was less concerned about the RAM surviving i applied plenty of force and pulled the clamshell style heatspreader up and away from the dimm. I did not damage the RAM in either instance, but the heat pads couldnt be reused where the heatspreader was not bent, and bending the heatspreader back into shape left obvious signs that it had been warped and tore the thermal pads/adhesive.

I didn't try sliding the heatspreader sideways.

Proceed with caution, of the 60+ DDR3 modules where i have removed the heatspreader none were damaged, but my understanding is that manufacturers are using much stronger bonds between the chips and heatspreader now. As i said in my previous post, chips have been known to come away with the heatspreader so it might be worthwhile adding heat to soften any bond if present, as well as using a spudger or plastic card to pry the metal away from the dimm.

Obviously, if there is a screw and you miss it then you are screwed. Pun intended.

But looking at the image that doesn't appear to be the case. None of the heatsinks i have removed have had screws holding them to the board. I do not know if that is common or simply the case with the heatspreaders I removed.

Associate
OP
The Ram has 2 shields on it not one, they split at the top.

I guess i just get a hair dryer and take my time? I kinda don't wonna kill them though but at the same time... RGB COVERS

Associate
In that case can you look down the end along the dimm to see if there are any screws going through it? Maybe shine a torch along its length.

I've seen similar ram where the two sides weren't joined and they did have screws in the top right and left corners.

I don't know if this is the case with yours.

Associate
The ram in this review looks similar to the image you linked.

They seemed to have no trouble removing the heatsink as it was held in place by adhesive.

"Due to the heat spreader design, it is easy to remove them, allowing us to view the Micron D9 ICs under them on either side of the PCB. Unlike when we lost adhesion with the Tactical thermal tape, the tape used in the Sport LT kits seems much better, as replacing the spreader onto the ICs took, and stayed in place."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7...t-lt-ddr4-2400-16gb-ram-kit-review/index.html

Associate
OP
In that case can you look down the end along the dimm to see if there are any screws going through it? Maybe shine a torch along its length.

I've seen similar ram where the two sides weren't joined and they did have screws in the top right and left corners.

I don't know if this is the case with yours.
Hi mate,

i did this last night and couldn't see anything, maybe its worth me peeling the sticker strip off tonight? won't be the easiest thing to get off and will look a mess if I can't get the full thing off haha. I guess its worth a shot

Associate
OP
The ram in this review looks similar to the image you linked.

They seemed to have no trouble removing the heatsink as it was held in place by adhesive.

"Due to the heat spreader design, it is easy to remove them, allowing us to view the Micron D9 ICs under them on either side of the PCB. Unlike when we lost adhesion with the Tactical thermal tape, the tape used in the Sport LT kits seems much better, as replacing the spreader onto the ICs took, and stayed in place."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7...t-lt-ddr4-2400-16gb-ram-kit-review/index.html

Great find, does this mean get a hair dryer and try lift the cover from the board?

Back
Top Bottom