how to install kubuntu and vista dual boot anyone!

Associate
ive got vista on drive c and its running like a bag of spanners so i wanna bang kubuntu on drive d 250gb drive

i was thinking of splitting the d drive into 2 and putting kubuntu on the first partion and leaving the second partion for someother linux distro

is this going to be easy or am i going to get some conflicts with vista

i want to be able to choose at start up which to boot into!

Soldato
Kubuntu should be fine for you to have a go with, no real need for another distro imho. Just install kubuntu to your 250 gig drive and lilo (bootloader) should pickup the vista drive.

Associate
OP
z0mbi3 said:
Kubuntu should be fine for you to have a go with, no real need for another distro imho. Just install kubuntu to your 250 gig drive and lilo (bootloader) should pickup the vista drive.
cheers thanks for the reply! i will go with that then!

Associate
OP
well ive just install kubuntu and its a culture shock lol

how do you navigate around your drives! i wanted to get a ubuntu e-book pdf of my other drive thats got vista installed but i cant see it + i wanted to get a torrent file of said drive and use the kubuntu client to finish it off

phew! :D at least i can surf the web

Soldato
This is good - I am wanting to have Ubuntu dual boot on my Vista x64 box, and wasn't sure if the GRUB (or is it LILO) boot loader is Vista friendly. Appears that it is ?

Soldato
drunkenmonkey said:
how do you navigate around your drives! i wanted to get a ubuntu e-book pdf of my other drive thats got vista installed but i cant see it + i wanted to get a torrent file of said drive and use the kubuntu client to finish it off
You'll most likely need to just edit the fstab file and add a line that tells Kubuntu about the Windows partition.

Depending upon whether you want read/write access or just read access to the NTFS drive will change what options you need to specify in fstab.

Have a look here if you do want read/write which explains about ntfs-3g, otherwise this part explains how to do it with read only rights.

Back
Top Bottom