How to "insulate" old garage/gym

Soldato
Hi guys

I have an old single garage with pitched roof, single brick etc and was wondering if you could help me with semi insulating it. I'm not wanting to go all out and if anything id like to insulate the roof and the garage door from a lowering the temperature in the summer point of view. (I use it as my garage)

So one end looks like this above the garage door:
s!Ao-uc7LjK88EgdVrncWVCWYBw0u1Kw

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao-uc7LjK88EgdVrncWVCWYBw0u1Kw

And the roof itself looks like this:
s!Ao-uc7LjK88EgdVpaWSdtFmjAVWL4A

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao-uc7LjK88EgdVpaWSdtFmjAVWL4A

Am i right in thinking that i can just get that celotex stuff, cut it to size and whack it in between the joists with small wooden cross beams to hold them in place? Or is it something more complex than that? The garage door is also a big radiator but i believe i've found the right insulation to stick to that to rectify that issue. I may also paint it white from the outside to also help with reflecting the heat.

What do you guys think? On the right track?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
yep buy rigid PIR insulation and cut it to size and squeeze it in, very easy DIY jop.

If you don't care what it looks like fill the surround gaps with foam. If you care what it looks like board over it with plaster board.

Remember to leave a 20mm gap min. below your roofing material to allow air to circulate

Soldato
OP
yep buy rigid PIR insulation and cut it to size and squeeze it in, very easy DIY jop.

If you don't care what it looks like fill the surround gaps with foam. If you care what it looks like board over it with plaster board.

Remember to leave a 20mm gap min. below your roofing material to allow air to circulate

Thankyou very much. :) This is what a lot of stuff was pointing to online but i thought i'd ask here too. Like i say because of the single brick wall and single pain glass and no heat source its never going to be fully insulated but i'm just after slightly cooler in summer really, at least until we can afford to rebuild a double garage in this ones place.

Soldato
and fit an extractor fan up high on the gable end through your insulation.. Set to come on at X temperature between Z and Y times.... Pulling the hot air out of the top will also help reduce the temperature in there.

Insulate first though, it might be enough.

Back
Top Bottom