How to introduce dogs to cats?

Soldato
Hi All,

We're thinking of getting some kittens in a couple of months time, now my sister has a jack Russell who chases anything that moves, I've never seen him hurt a cat, in fact it's the complete opposite he normally runs after them get's close does a sort of whiney bark and then runs away again like he's afraid of them.

So is there a way you can introduce dogs to cats so that they get used to them and eventually leave them be?

Thanks,
Paul

Soldato
Throw a party, bring them to each other, get them to shake hands, a fewdrinks later they'l be best friends :D

or just keep them very much supervised for the first week or so

Soldato
I imagine it may be similar to how you get cats used to other cats. Have them seperated for a while so they get used to each others scent.

Other than that, if the dog is playful, not a lot you can do unless you train him to leave the cats alone.

Don
It'll be a lot harder to stop a yappy dog like a jack Russell from chasing a cat than a bigger more obedient dog imo..

we have a sheep dog and her pup who are totally fine with the cats (so is my lab), but the other sheep dog 'Carlos the Jackal' thinks cats are the scum of the earth

:o

Man of Honour
My staffy Axel wanted to play with a couple of cats and they pwned his useless wimpy butt, he had no clue what to do, he will play with anything that moves and not harm anything but the cats handed his butt back to him on a platter for just going near them.

Soldato
I have 2 cats and a jack russell.

Our jack russell is a lively bugger, he does try to "play" with the cats.
One cat just runs off, the other cat just lets the dog run up to it, and they sniff each others nose then the dog usually runs away.

I think it depends on the age of the dog etc, is the dog young, training a dog or cat is easier at a young age, the older they get the harder it is to train.

Soldato
My ex (who works in a vets and continually takes animals home - cats, dogs, rats, ferrets, anything) reckons that leaving a dog's food on the cat's sleeping blanket and vice versa is a good tool for preparing them to meet. So you may want to plan it out beforehand. My current girlfriend's sister just got a kitten and her dog completely ignores it - in fact, the kitten even tried feeding on her and she just lay there. She is a particularly lively hound (but a labrador, so very gentle).

When I was a young lad, our King Charles Spaniel puppy thought kittens were great fun, but he killed one by mistake whilst playing with them :(

Soldato
Just chuck em in the same room together and yell "fight!".

I wouldn't worry about it tbh, I own a jack russell / fox terrier / Something mongrel and he usually loves ripping apart small moving things, but any of my mums cats that he's came into contact with have beat him into submission and shown him who's boss. The last time I looked after one of hers for a week at the start the cat was hiding on top of cupboards, behind chairs and being generally grumpy, and scratching the dog on the nose whenever he was in reach, but by the end of the week I was finding them cuddled up in bed together.

Its pretty damn funny watching the dog run up to the cat, then pausing as he wonder what to do, getting a slap on the nose from the kitty and running away yelping. They really get confused with cats at times. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom