*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Man of Honour
If the CTs are anywhere near as good as the GTs you won't be disappointed, especially coming from the wooden crap they fit as standard to 125s.

Soldato
Skinny tyres are common for 125s, it's only recently some 125s have started having 'proper' sized tyre.

Nothing wrong with that, people have been riding on them for years.

Man of Honour
Back in the day there were 750s with tyres similar sizes to the skinny 125 ones these days, they're not perfect but as long as you've got decent rubber then you'll be fine.

One

One

Soldato
Contact patch isn't much smaller. You don't need a fat rear on a bike that's got a cough's worth of power. You only need a fat front to make up for having a fat rear putting the grip out of balance from front to rear.

Associate
Had my mod 2 on Wednesday gone, failed for too many minors but it's fine by me. Was hit hard with some ****e news last Monday and just couldn't focus on the test. Going to have another crack at it with a somewhat clearer head Wednesday 15th :)

Soldato
Theory done. About 7 hours sleep over the last two days and an 8am test wasn't ideal.

Thought I had a high chance of failing about 3rd/4th clip in as I got unacceptable clicking on the 10 marker! Whoops! The CGI was super weird. It was real clips when I did my car theory many years ago.

Still ended up with 59/75 on HP and 47/50 on questions. 9 HP at 5 points, 3 at 4 points, 1 at 3 points, and the double clip - zero :D

Now to work out where to do my DAS...

Caporegime
Just did a random theory test online, scored 68% :eek:

I'm going to reduce that to 50% as well as many of the answers I got right were blatant guesses.

Guess I'm not as clued up as I thought I was (then again, last time I opened a theory book was 14 years ago and in a different country, different language, different side of the road, etc :p).

Soldato
tom_e;30490187 said:
And yet you can get a CBT and happily go hurtling around without a clue :o

I was semi-disappointed there wasn't any clueless non-drivers in my CBT group. From what the instructor said it sounded like it would be amusing to see their lack of road knowledge.

Mind you I did drop my instructor and the recertifying moped rider out on the road as I went up to the speed limit in a 40 :D

Associate
Lethal`;30489639 said:
Theory done. About 7 hours sleep over the last two days and an 8am test wasn't ideal.

The CGI was super weird. It was real clips when I did my car theory many years ago.

Well done! :D

I did the new theory test with the CGI stuff last year and found it a bit crappy. The real footage I remember from my driving theory was much better.

Caporegime
tom_e;30490187 said:
And yet you can get a CBT and happily go hurtling around without a clue :o

Lethal`;30490208 said:
I was semi-disappointed there wasn't any clueless non-drivers in my CBT group. From what the instructor said it sounded like it would be amusing to see their lack of road knowledge.

Mind you I did drop my instructor and the recertifying moped rider out on the road as I went up to the speed limit in a 40 :D

In our CBT group we had all sorts. The first two got kicked out because they couldn't even speak English and had no idea what the instructor was saying. The next two got kicked out because no matter how hard the instructor tried, this guy simply couldn't manage a motorcycle. A CG125 weighs nothing yet these guys must've dropped them 25 times between the two of them (no jokes). The rest were ok, some were very clearly used to the roads or had ridden bikes on their private highways but some of them were so bad it got beyond funny. I genuinely wondered how long these people would last had they been given a CBT. I think a week would be optimistic. I'm all for making the test stricter and tighter, I just hope they do the same with the car test as well as the standard of driving on UK roads is beyond awful.

Soldato
I notice driving standards are worse in London than back home in Sussex. Very rare to see people run red lights back home... at least 3-5 times a week in London. Generally completely failed amber gambles but still really bad.

I cycle a lot so generally my anticipation with regard to drivers doing idiotic things is pretty good but you still get completely ridiculous manouevres now and then.

Caporegime
Exactly. As I always said to my wife when she was on her provisional: In London you're not driving for yourself, you're drivign for everyone else. You have to see what people are going to do before they do it, because some of the random stuff people do will results in collisions if you don't think for them.

Associate
Forum mod;30490330 said:
Exactly. As I always said to my wife when she was on her provisional: In London you're not driving for yourself, you're drivign for everyone else. You have to see what people are going to do before they do it, because some of the random stuff people do will results in collisions if you don't think for them.

Tbh, this is similar in Birmingham. Obviously not the same volume of traffic, but most of my driving is anticipating the craziness of other drivers. I see at least a couple of red light jumpers a day.

I guess this is why I feel comfortable on the bike. I simply do not trust anyone to do the right thing, so am always on the look out for possible dangers.

Back
Top Bottom